Search

Rachamankha - Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:41 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rachamankha - Chiang Mai

About to leave in a couple of days and based on some recent negative reviews of Sheraton decided to make a last minute change in hotels to the Rachamankha, which has received some good comments on this forum. Any others with recent experience at this hotel? Are the rooms/beds/bathrooms comfortable? There were no deluxe rooms available - only superior. Anyone know the difference between these categories? Would love to get some more info from those with first-hand experience. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM

where is this hotel in CM ---don't even know it??
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:04 PM

The Rachamankha is a fairly new boutique hotel along the line of the Tamarind Village; I believe that there is a family connection. However, it is considerably more expensive.

We had a look around it a couple of weeks ago and it is very nice indeed, it is an open layout that might be a little trying in the wet season, but not a problem at the moment. I think that the location leaves something to be desired, there is very little of interest in the area. It is hidden away behind Wat Phra Singh and we only found it on our second attempt.

The public areas are very pleasant, but we didn’t get to see any of the rooms, but they look nice in the brochure (don’t they always?) and on the web site www.rachamankha.com.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM

This is the new sister hotel of the Tamarind and it's suppose to be quite nice with lots of antiques.

I'm going up to CM this weekend but will be staying at the new Mandarin Oriental. Will try and drop by the Rach... and report back.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Hanuman, please report back on the Mandarin Oriental as well!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:36 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, as always to all of you who are so helpful!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM

I went by the Rachamankha and it looked lovely but, like Tangata, I found the location less than appealing.

I'm also very curious to hear about the Mandarin Oriental although based on the prices I'm seeing I will never be able to stay there.

CFW-- I just stayed at the Chiang Mai Plaza which was dirt cheap, had a terrific location and was fine. No charm (but then the Sheraton doesn't either) but large rooms, pleasant staff and lovely lobby and bar area. Breakfast was fine. We had a deluxe room for around $40.