Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Quiet islands in Thailand? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/quiet-islands-in-thailand-190780/)

Jen Sep 21st, 2001 10:58 PM

Quiet islands in Thailand?

My husband and I are planning to get away some time next month for a short trip in Thailand. Basically we want to stay at a reasonably priced resort that is in a quiet, secluded area. Our travel agent gave us a ton of stuff on Phuket and Ko Samui, but neither sound like somewhere we want to go. I'm pregnant - not really into the party scene right now! Are there any other islands in southern Thailand that have the kind of resort we're looking for without the party atmosphere? Or are there parts of Phuket or Ko Samui that are more secluded? We also would like to do some snorkelling, so having good places or tours for that nearby would be great. <BR> <BR>Would appreciate the help. There is a travel fair in one week where we hope to get a good deal, but want to narrow down some ideas of where exactly before then. BTW, we live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, so if anyone wants help about that particular destination, let me know! <BR> <BR>Jen

Ursula Sep 22nd, 2001 03:10 AM

Jen: If you choose Bang Tao beach in Phuket which is a little north of Patong you will find a very quiet beach. A perfect place to relax. Hotels in different price ranges. <BR>If you want to do some shopping and have dinner elsewhere, you can still go to Patong for a couple of hours. Usually, hotels have shuttles.

Luda Sep 24th, 2001 09:49 AM

I went to Samui slightly dreading finding too many pissed-up obnoxious people everywhere, but, by chance we ended up staying in Bophut, a small village in the north of the island. It;s very peaceful and laid back and there are some really good places to eat, and it definitely does not have a all night party atmosphere and is much more relaxed. It won't take long to get to Lamai or Chaweng if you do feel like something more lively though! <BR>Just a quick question...do you know of anywhere to buy cheap (pirated?) DVDs which are region 2 (for the UK) in KL?

Luda Sep 24th, 2001 09:52 AM

P.S. <BR>Stayed in Smile House while I was there which was really nice - in a coconut grove, with a pool, right opposite the beach, they have a website www.sawadee.com/samui/smilehouse which shows you pictures etc

Meg Sep 24th, 2001 11:24 AM

We visited Koh Samet last July and stayed at Ao Prao Resort (www.aopraoresort.com) on the western side of the island, which was very quite. We enjoyed Samet much more than Phuket, but there are some quite places in Phuket south of Patong.

Shelley Sep 26th, 2001 12:27 PM

I heard that Ko Tau was a beautiful quiet island

Pat Sep 27th, 2001 12:22 PM

We stayed on Baphut beach on Koh Samui and just loved it.We found it very quiet and layed back. We stayed at the palm beach resort and it was great. There is lots of great eating places.

ely Sep 30th, 2001 10:04 AM

Last February, I stumbled across a lovely village(beach)on the isle of Koh Pha-Ngan. I highly recommend exploring the villages on the north-east coast. My personal favorite was Thong Nai Pan Noi beach. You will find snorkeling, as well as a tranquil, relaxed laid back atmosphere, good beaches. Don't let the full moon parties keep you from discovering this northern neighbor to Ko Samui. (Just steer clear of Hat Rin.) It is not as commercial or developed and only an hour boat ride from Samui. One resort name that comes to mind is 'Start Hut', but there are numerous others. <BR>I also visited Ko Samat and well I was a bit disappointed....