quick visit to elephant park in Chinag Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in visiting either the Elephant Nature Park or the ECC on my trip to Thailand next month. The only problem is that I have only one full day in Chiang Mai, and both parks seem to offer only full day programs. Does anyone know if there is a half day program available at either park? We wanted to see some hill tribes, and possibly a rafting trip and squeeze it all into one day. Is there any way to pull this off?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:22 PM

You can visit the Elephant Conservation Center without taking part in any program...just go there and pay the admission fee maybe 70 or 90 baht I think. Then you can have a look around for as long as you like and have an elephant ride if you pay separately for that. It's about an hour or an hour an half from Chiang Mai city. Just get a driver and go. No reservations necessary for just a visit. if you get there by 9:00 am you'll see the bathing in the river, which is great.

The Elephant Nature Park does not allow drop in visitors, so that would be out for you.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I agree with KimJapan. But if you go to the one in Lampang and get there by 10AM you can see the show and decide if a 1-3 hour trek is of interst to you.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
At the Elephant Conservation Centre, I believe there are two bath times during the day - you'll definitely want to see that. The first one is fairly early (maybe 9:30? see my trip report - search on "karen and julie&quot. The show is immediately afterwards. Then you can do an elephant ride. We just went for 30 minutes, which we thought was enough. We especially enjoyed petting/feeding the babies afterwards and visiting the elephant hospital. Really a fun time. We spent the morning, had lunch, and left for Lamphun and then on to Doi Suthep - and still got back in time to go to the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center that evening. The elephant camp was a trip highlight for us.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I just checked my trip report - we left Chiang Mai at 8:00 and got there with a little time to spare before bath time. We went with Sergeant Kai - it was a great day.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM

there is an elephant camp out near the four seasons hotel that you can visit and almost next door is a rafting place....this is perhaps 1/2 hour from CM....
i would skip CM quite honestly if you only have one day
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I agree if you are going just for the Elephant Conservancu the 1 day trip may not be worth it though it is very interesting. An earlier comment was correct for we left at 8:40 with Poon and arrived at the camp in about 35040 minutes. The show is only 1 hour and if you are not going to take an elephant trek i would pass. If you are going to Doi Suthep in the late after noobn the 2 attractions "may" be worth the trip toCM. We spent 3 full days and went to some of yhe hill tribes and Hong Dong (antique shops, be careful about authenticity, and some excellent furniture manufactures that will ship)