Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Quick trip to Beijing! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/quick-trip-to-beijing-155682/)

Stephen Chappell Aug 5th, 2001 05:11 PM

Quick trip to Beijing!

My partner and I are going to stay over in Beijing for four days after his business is concluded. I've never been to Asia, although I've been all around many other places in the world. Thinking of staying at the Palace Hotel, which has a great rate if booked through Asia-hotels.com (50% off). But any great advice on wonderful things to do, food to eat, places to shop, etc. would be *great*! Oh, and the trip is going to be September 2 through 8. Thanks!

Andrea Aug 5th, 2001 05:32 PM

Congrats! You'll have a great time - PERFECT time of year to be visiting. With 4 days, I'd recommend that you take the time to see the Great Wall at one of the more remote sites instead of the ones closer in - they're usually overrun with tourists. Also, don't miss a Hu Tong tour - it does seem a bit hokey at first, but it really is fun. If you do it on one of your earlier days, then you can easily explore the areas on your own later either by foot or by bicycle (easliy rented at most hotels).

Sarah Aug 6th, 2001 09:40 AM

I'd also recommend heading out to a more remote area of the Great Wall. But only if you're in good shape and used to hiking. My 5 hour hike on an unrestored portion of the Great Wall was a highlight of my trip, but it was definitely an athletic adventure. <BR> <BR>Also make sure to hire a private driver for the day to take you out to the Summer Palace. <BR> <BR>In the city limits, the Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven are two must sees. Also be sure to take in an acrobat show one night. I was able to get front row seats for around $8 a person while I was there and it was just fantastic to see. <BR> <BR>Have a great time in Beijing - you're going to love it!

Stephen Chappell Aug 8th, 2001 10:17 PM

Great suggestions, everyone! I'll definitely look forward to getting out to a more remote part of the Great Wall with my friends for a day of hiking. We just booked a room at the Grand Hotel, which is right next to the Forbidden City - great views! I have no idea where to get a phrase book, but I'll clearly need one. And shopping isn't hugely high on my list, but I'd like to bring back something to put in my house - I grew up in a house filled with Asian antiques, so I'm itchy to get a couple of nice pieces for my adult home. Can't wait to get there!

Cheri Aug 12th, 2001 01:45 PM

A great place to get maps of Beijing and a phrase book is Barnes and Noble. I'm going to Beijing in October. Found a great plastic coated Chinese "language map" that not only shows English-Chinese, but includes the phonetic pronounciation - extremely helpful. Also includes essential signs in Chinese - like "women" or "exit". Looks like it was put out by Bilingual Books, Inc. in Seattle. Bet B&N has it on their website too. Good luck on your trip!

Tom Aug 21st, 2001 11:34 AM

You will love it! <BR>All the above suggestions are great. I also highly recommend the Summer Palace trip, it was the most relaxing site I visited, rent a peddle boat and cruise around the lake, it is awesome! <BR>The Palace Hotel is wonderful. The best restaurant I found in the city is called Asian Star.

Kris Aug 23rd, 2001 06:11 AM

Stephen, we are heading to Beijing after you in early October. I would love to see a trip report!