Questions regarding visiting Hue and Hoi An

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Hue and Hoi An for 5 days in Jan. I have a couple of questions:

1-Is the best way to get to the tombs of Minh Mang and Kai Dinh bytaxi or by group tour. If by taxi (and i am happy seeing the tombs on my own) about how much should it cost for 5 hours which I assume is more than enough time to see the tombs.

2-What are some excellent restaurants in both Hue and Hoi An. Last time we were there we liked Morning Glory, but that was 5 years ago. Is it still good?

3-Is there any sightseeing in Hoi An besides in the Old Town? Has anyone been to the organic vegtable garden outside of town? Is bicycling there worth the time and effort?
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 07:19 AM

It was some years ago when I was there, but I rented a car and driver for 4 hours to see the tombs for $32. Minh Mang is good, Tu Duc is OK, and Khai Dinh utterly horrible (so bad it could be worth seeing for that reason).
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM

We visited 4 of the tombs inc those mentioned above. We were impressed with all of them. Three were by a tour arranged by our guesthouse. Don't normally like group tours at all but this one was a bargain at $10 pp. a car and driver was going for around $40 for the day. Also rented a couple of bikes to go out to one of the tombs, sadly I can't remember which one (will ask my wife!)

Hue restaurants - Lac Thien - the second one along, Than Na, risotto ( if you want a change)

Hoi An - Pho xua, bale well, Morning Glory

Renting a bicycle and riding out to the beach via the vegetable village/ garden is a great way to spend a day or half a day. Start early if it is hot!
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Crellston.

The bikes were free from Travel Lodge, and in v.good condition

We used them for a couple of days too. Great fun once you escape the traffic, and even the traffic ain't anything like you encounter in the major cities.

Loved Hoi An, we'll return.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 06:38 PM

JIM IS NOT ALLOWED TO RIDE A BIKE....PERIOD!!!!!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
We did a motorbike tour in Hue and hit all the major sites. It was a great way to get around and lots of fun besides. Highly recommend it. Check trip advisor for multiple companies and read the reviews.

We also did a bike ride in Hoi An, but only because our hotel had free bikes. We used them to ride into town a couple of times (hotel was a mile or two away) and also spent an early morning riding in the more rural outskirts of town. Really enjoyed it.