Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   questions for a primary school teacher in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/questions-for-a-primary-school-teacher-in-thailand-904872/)

rhkkmk Sep 3rd, 2011 06:42 AM

questions for a primary school teacher in Thailand

i have questions about what types of books primary school children like in Thailand. is there anyone who teaches or has taught at this level who can help me in selecting the correct and most enjoyable books for kids this age? i would like to have an email exchange with you.

bob

Hanuman Sep 3rd, 2011 08:22 AM

Bob if this is for Gpanda's foundation then How about books by American authors translated into Thai and suitable for high school students?

I doubt there are any Thai primary school teachers on Fodors!

Here's a link to a good list of foreign literature translated into Thai: http://www.wanakam.com/title.asp

MichaelBKK Sep 3rd, 2011 04:57 PM

You might want to contact Dwight Turner over at In Search of Sanuk (http://www.insearchofsanuk.com/). He does a lot of work with primary school age kids - mostly from poor communities. He could probably answer a lot of your questions.

rhkkmk Sep 3rd, 2011 07:09 PM

thank you both...

kmkrnn Sep 4th, 2011 05:25 AM

Pook I see Uncle Tom's cabin is on that list. i don't think you can buy that here any more...Interesting it was translated.

Hanuman Sep 4th, 2011 05:36 AM

That would be a good choice IMO as well as "The old man and the sea" - if I can find a translated version.

I strongly suggest that you don't give money to any organization and just buy something from the heart and donate. Brad is in BKK at the moment and he does know a lot of printers here so he can be of great help if we want to print a cover or a page in memory of Gpanda. I think this would be a nice touch!

mcbeanie Sep 4th, 2011 02:22 PM

Hi, Bob! Sounds like Hanuman has a wonderful idea. I still remember the first time we went to the orphanage, as typically took many things for the younger children. It broke my heart when we over-heard one of the teenagers say "It's always things for the little ones!" I should have known better, since I spent 30+ years teaching high school juniors and seniors.

It sounds as if a mixture of books ~~ some for the younger ones and some for the older ones ~~ is a wonderful idea. I know they will appreciate whatever you feel is right. That's one of the things we love about Thailand!!!!!! They are so gradious.

Looking forward to seeing you, Karen and Carol in October. Hope Hanuman and others can join a GTG.

Sandra

mcbeanie Sep 4th, 2011 02:31 PM

Hello Again!

I just looked at the list that Hanuman suggested. As a teacher of older students, I recall that anything by Hemingway was well received, and isn't too hard to read. Also, they enjoyed ANIMAL FARM, though it is a little more difficult.

Also, I am sure that Carol could recommend American authors that the younger children enjoy.

Just suggestions! S

simpsonc510 Sep 4th, 2011 03:06 PM

Since my friends Lars and Pong have a young 3-yr old daughter who can understand and speak in English (and Thai and Danish!!!) I bring English picture books for her. I still have a H-U-G-E collection of them from my teaching career!! A number of them are autographed as well.

Anyway, we are talking about books in Thai. I think some of the standards, Curious George, Junie B Jones, the Magic Treehouse, Dr Seuss classics, that sort of thing would go over well. Hanuman, are some/any of these translated into Thai, by any chance?

And yes, I like the idea of books for the older students as well.

simpsonc510 Sep 4th, 2011 03:12 PM

I see Beatrix Potter is on Hanuman's list. That one would be good.

wintersp Sep 4th, 2011 04:39 PM

Not on that list but maybe there are other translated books and you can find them, two titles my high schoolers always loved were "The Diary of Anne Frank" and "Moby Dick".

I love this idea but what do you expect from a retired teacher?

mcbeanie Sep 5th, 2011 04:45 AM

Good Morning!

I love it!!!! ~~ Once a teacher, always an educator!!!!!

Sandra

rhkkmk Sep 5th, 2011 07:02 AM

thanks....

mcbeanie Sep 5th, 2011 08:34 AM

Bob: I went to the Foundation for Children Publishing website, but it was all in Thai. If Brad doesn't know about this one, Hanuman will probably be glad to translate.

From what I could glean, however, it publishes Thai folktales. What do you think?

Sandra

rhkkmk Sep 5th, 2011 10:28 AM

i read it 100% in thai---naught

GeminiRising Sep 5th, 2011 01:43 PM

Yes, dont give cash to anyone in Thailand, for donation.. Corruption runs rampant from upper to sub-upper classes...I've never seen such greed permeate any society before :(

Sawasdee kra

Kathie Sep 5th, 2011 01:54 PM

Gemini, you've stepped in on a discussion you know nothing about.

The topic of discussion here are books to be given as part of a memorial to a much-loved Fodorite who died earlier this year. We have a Fodorite on the ground in Thailand who has been helping us get appropriate resources to an orphanage near Bangkok.

Your nasty comment is not appreciated.

GeminiRising Sep 5th, 2011 02:01 PM

Oops. Sorry.. Honestly didn't realize what this was for. My apologies. I thought it was regarding charities in general.

Sawasdee kra

GeminiRising Sep 5th, 2011 02:09 PM

By the way, there is nothing nasty at all about my comment!

Sawasdee kra

Hanuman Sep 5th, 2011 05:41 PM

What's "nasty" about your comment is that you generalize all Thais by saying that they are greedy. There are several worthwhile charitable organizations in Thailand but non would suit with the OP's intended goal.