Questions about the Peninsula, Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that we have finally fixed on our hotels whilst we are visiting Bangkok - we will be spending 4 nights in Bangkok in the Marriott Resort at the beginning of the trip, 2 nights at the Oriental mid-trip and 3 nights at the Peninsula at the end of our trip.

I have a few queries though about the Peninsula which I am hoping someone may be able to help with:

1) Restaurants - we will be with our 2 year old and our babysitters (parents!) will not be with us by this point in our 5 week trip. So we will book babysitters through the hotel in order to go out. We will want to stay either in the hotel or nearby so that we can get back quickly if necessary. What are the restaurants like within the Peninsula itself or in nearby locality? Any particular recommendations? How long does it take to get from the Oriental to the Peninsula - although we are at the Oriental earlier in the trip, we will probably only eat there one night and make good use of my parents acting as babysitters to go further afield so could possibly eat there.

2) Best rates: Where will we find the best rates for the Peninsula? Does anyone know if it is worth booking through Amex Travel Service, I know that sometimes you get an automatic upgrade subject to availability.

3) Children: Has anyone stayed there with children? It looks to be a very elegant hotel - will we get raised eyebrows as we are with a toddler?

4) What is the atmosphere in the Peninsula Bar like?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM

1. Penn to Oriental by boat about 2 mintues. If you have to wait for a boat, about 5 minutes.

We enjoyed the riverside restaurant at the Penn...nice to watch the river while dining. Food was very good I thought, both a la carte and buffet.

2. In the past, we've gotten the best rates directly from the Pen. AMEX did have a better rate than directly this past New Year, but it was still pricey. Outside of peak season, you should be fine. One stay we booked through asiahotels.com. I don't like to prepay, so I tend not to use booking sites for anything other than rate checking.

3. We stayed at the Penn when our daughter was 3, 4 and 5 years old. No raised eyebrows anywhere. From the beginning, she was greeted by name (we were too) and made to feel very welcome. She loved eating breakfast at the outdoor riverside tables, and lunch in a poolside sala was a big hit too. Each stay, there were also quite a few other children there, and she made friends in the pool.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

That's great Kim. When you took your daughter when she was younger, did you take her out with you at night or use a babysitter or perhaps eat early before her bedtime. Interested to know what other parents have done!

Thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM

We have always taken her with us wherever we go. When we go to BKK, there isn't any issue with jetlag really...only 2hours difference...so we can eat dinner at a normal time.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Jesters at the Pen is fabulous. Very high tech with great fusion food. Dim sum at the Pen's Chinese restaurant very good and inexpensive. Of course, Peking Duck at the Oriental's China House.

The Pen's bar is very nice but was quiet when we were there, only a few people but this was in the late afternoon. Somewhat dark but not overly so.

I don't have children but you shouldn't have any problems at the Pen as I frequently see families with kids there.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Hi-
I'm staying at the Pen for the second time in April.
I found I got the best rate by emailing the hotel. It pays to do your homework though; I found an internet rate that included tax and breakfast that was less than the Pen's website. I then emailed them directly and asked if they could match it.
Initially, they came back with the same offer that was on their website so I pressed, and they offered me the rate I wanted (saved me about $25 a night). I confimed the reservation with my credit card by calling the US 800 number listed on their website. They have toll free numbers for other countries as well.
BTW, the reason I wanted to book direct with the Pen instead of the other website is that I didn't have to pay it all in advance and could cancel up to 24 hours before arrival.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Kristina, you do exactly what I do to negotiate rates. It works for me too.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

i think children as welcomed everywhere if they behave....but if they do not then of course they are not welcome....ANYPLACE....
you will not find the penn stiff and formal....correct yes, but not stiff...

there is an al fresco thai restaurant in the garden which is excellent also...dinner only....i think the child might be out of place at jesters, but not sure....it is pretty sophisticated....

i can only remember the bar at jesters...there must be another one but i can't place it in my mind....the lobby is a lovely place for a drink as well...

beside the penn restaurants there are the other local hotels just across the river: shangri-la and oriental and sheraton, plus the new hilton just up river on the same side....china house in back of the oriental...tongue thai in back of OP Place (perfect with the child), gallery cafe not far from the sheraton to name a few, plus of course harmonique---perfect for the child really too...
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:52 PM

When we were staying there, Jesters and the Bar did not allow children. We mostly ate on the river terrace or by the pool, but once tried the dim sum lunch, and yes, it was outstanding.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you all of you, I will be doing a trawl of all the sites for the best rates and then email the Peninsula diret. Our daughter is v sweeet natured so fingers crossed no problems with misbehaving!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM

The Oriental has many wonderful restaurants and I have seen children at all of them except Normandie. All the food is very good. It should only take a few minutes to get there.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM

most all the sites have penn rates....the one thing to keep in mind is that many, if not all the discount sites, include the service and tax in the rate (17%) and some include breakfast....this can make a huge difference in your final payment....as there is probably not a bad room in the hotel, as they all face the river, i think the cheapest you can get it the better....
i do sometimes think that booking directly with a hotel gets you the more preferable room, but my first experience with the penn several years ago was an $85 rate which i got from an agency...we were given the best room that trip that we have ever had at the penn---have never had a better room, even with a one class upgrade...
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM

I'm finding that none of the sites include breakfast at the Pen anymore. If anyone finds a good rate with breakfast, please advise.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I find the British based travel agent Kuoni offers some of the best rates - but best to buy a biundle of stuff off them because they charge an one-off admin fee if you are not purchasing a whole package off them.

They usually have offers and upgrades available at most hotels most of the year

We have booked the Peninsula through them for May and we are getting breakfast a room upgrade - for a cheaper price than direct with the hotel.

We also find Premier Holidays (similar UK based site) has good rates with lots of freebies.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Couldn't figure out how to book a hotel with Kuoni and Premier said they could not process my request.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Hi-
I did not offer them any specific sites, I just said that I was looking for a Grand Deluxe room including breakfast and taxes for under $203 per night. First they offered me $190 +17% and no breakfast. Then, they added in breakfast so it should be around $222 per night all inc.
I actually can't find the $203 rate any longer, so this isn't bad considering the same room w/ tax and breakfast isn't even available now on their website. It was $240 when I was booking in December for April. The least expensive room more my dates is now $260++ per night!
I checked some other random dates and it looks like a Grand Deluxe, inc breakfast, is still runnning $240 Plus 17% tax.

I've looked at all the sites I bookmarked, and this one is the only one still offering a price including breakfast and tax:

http://www.bangkok.thaihoteldiscount.com/pnsula.html

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

The $203 rate is good for August when we would be going - this is the best I've seen advertised anywhere, especially given the inclusion of breakfast which is not included anywhere else.

Thank you so much Kristina
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Our rate for the Pen in mid-April is $220 with breakfast and tax/service in a Grand Deluxe Room-high floor through Sawadee.com.
When I asked central Pen reservations they wanted about $275 for the same option as above,
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I just put in a request with thaihotels.com for a grand deluxe from May 30-June 5, including tax, service and breakfast for $222 per night. I won't cry over the two dollars per night extra. When I tried sawadee.com, they were more.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM

And sawadee didn't include breakfast either. I'd say you did well Stan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -