Penang Malyasia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 03:59 PM
William Moore

Penang Malyasia

Does anyone have andy advice for Penany? thank you

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Jen

Sorry to say that I was very disappointed in Penang. I don't know why it is so popular, especially when compared to other more beautiful places in Malaysia. Don't go here if you're looking for beaches and sun, for sure. Go to an east coast island, like Pulau Redang. Or maybe Langkawi, further north of Penang. <BR> <BR>I admit, I didn't see much of Georgetown, but I'm sure it has it's good points. It is a pretty town, lots of green, and many neat old colonial mansions. The botanical gardens are nice, with lots of "aggressive" monkeys running around - photo op with the warning signs, definitely! <BR> <BR>We couldn't get to the top of Penang Hill when we were there, as the funicular was broken down, but I hear it is pleasant - a bit cooler than at the bottom. The Snake Temple is a disappointment, to say the least. Not many snakes, and they are certainly not draped all over the altars like they would have you believe in the brochures. And it's quite far out of the way unless you are going to or from the airport, so save yourself the trouble and give it a miss. <BR> <BR>Gurney Drive along the north coast of Georgetown is very popular for eateries, hotels, etc, but the stretch of waterfront stinks. You can't go on the beach - it's mud (or sewage, I suppose). Just seeing/smelling that turned me off of ALL the beaches on Penang. <BR> <BR>Hope I haven't turned you off. Maybe someone else had a better impression than I did. I live in Malaysia and have seen a bit of the peninsula, and I honestly don't understand why the tourists flock to Penang. We were glad we went on business and didn't have to pay our expenses! <BR> <BR>Jen

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:36 AM
tony

what sort of info do you need? we went in April and had a fantastic time. We will be going back again!!We would be happy to answer any questions you have!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:28 AM
jon

Obviously everyone has different likes and dislikes. Jennifer did not like Penang but we adored it! Certainly I would advise not staying in Georgetown but in Batu Ferringhi, which has a lovely beach and brilliant food from the many stalls and small restaurants.Georgetown is a fascinating place to visit- particularly the temples( you MUST make a point of finding the Burmese one - it is breathtaking!!)Make sure you take a tour round the island.The local villages are a must, make sure you go with a guide who can tell about local culture.The botantical gardens are beautiful.I WOULD agree with Jen about the snake temple.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 01:25 PM
tony

Am interested in places to stay. We were in Sabah last year and stayed at the Shangri-la which we enjoyed and I believe there is a similiar hotel in Penang. What are the beaches like? Are there opportunites to take tours to nearby islands? <BR> <BR>Would appreciate any information. Thanks

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:35 AM
Ivan

Hi, Tony, <BR>There are three Shangri-la hotels in Penang, one in Georgetown and the other two in Batu Ferringi beacg, Golden Sand Resort and Rasa Sayang Resort. Golden Sand is more informal and family orientated while Rasa Sayang Resort is more upmarket. If you like Rasa Ria or Tanjung Aru resorts in Sabah, you will most likely enjoy staying in Rasa Sayang. If you do decide to stay at Rasa Sayang, go for the Garden Wing which has nicer rooms and swiming pool. The beaches in Penang are not as pristine as those in East Coast of Malaysia, but far superior than those you used to in Europe. Batu Ferringi Beach is rather built up now, but you still find clean and quiet beaches if you head further north, Telok Bahang or Muka Head. Most visitors go to Penang for its local colours, cusine and culture, beach is incidental to their trips. You can catch a ferry to Pulau Langkawi, or a taxi (then boat ride)to Pulau Pangkor where the beaches are nicer(but it is not advisable to do as day trip). Don't let Jen's comments put you off, you have to go there and see for yourself for Penang is an interesting island. I have many happily memories while holidaying there.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:50 AM
tony

to Ivan <BR> Thanks Ivan but the last post with my name was not actually from me!!William was meaning to e-mail direct and got a little muddled up! I loved Penang and am thinking of returning and staying in the Golden Sands.We previously stayed in the Park Royal which was a good hotel.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:52 PM
wayne

My hometown is penang and i visit it 4 times a year so may i be of some assistance. <BR> <BR>Penang gives you a glimpse of what Singapore looks like 20 years ago. In fact, Madras, Penang and Singapore have similar town plans as they were designed by the same architect. <BR> <BR>Penang is a showcase for british colonial architecture, has excellent local hawker food, a vibrant chinatown, good beaches and a lovely hill station. <BR> <BR>Of course there are places with better beaches, and more interesting cultures and sights but no place has everything penang has. <BR> <BR>You've got to tell me what interests you for me to help. <BR> <BR>You asked about hotels:In the city the best is Eastern & Oriental (E&O) which is like Raffles Hotel, a renovated 5 star hotel of colonial architecture. <BR> <BR>On the north beaches the best is SHangri-la's Rasa Sayang and Mutiara altho the nightlife around Rasa Sayang is more lively. <BR> <BR>All the hotels are severely affected by the terrorist attacks and can be had for USD100++! <BR> <BR>There are no aman or ritz carlton standard hotels in penang but I hope to open one in future. <BR> <BR>E-mail me directly or post here if you need more info.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
upup

topping for Kerrie.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:21 AM
ttt

<BR>Topping for Cathy.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Sarah rey

I don't think you can rank Penang as anything special. For a beautiful beach island Langkawi far surpases Penang. I can handle a couple of days in Penang but there is nothing special about it. To compare it with the likes of Thai islands is like trying to compare a cola with Champagne, totally different league. Batu Ferringhi is ok and I agree the Rasa Sayang is an excellent hotel, but to travel half way across the world, I would go to Thailand any day.