Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Questions about Phuket and Koh Samui (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/questions-about-phuket-and-koh-samui-474401/)

LanaB Sep 15th, 2004 09:29 AM

Questions about Phuket and Koh Samui

We're trying to pick a resort in Phuket for late January.
Puzzled whether to stay on Patong,Kata,or Karon Beach. How far is it between these beaches? Are they quite different from each other?
Also wondering if Koh Samui is more expensive and is it worth the trip to go there as well? Thanks so much.

brotherleelove2004 Sep 15th, 2004 11:29 AM

Unless you're interested in a Westernized environment with high traffic, lots of girlie bars, KFC, Pizza Hut, McD's, 7-11 minimarkets, Starbucks Coffee and counterfeit knockoff souveniers everywhere, stay away from Phuket.

Samui is no more expensive than Phuket, but in January the weather might be too wet. As another option, consider the islands of Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Ngai(Hai), not too far from Phuket. Koh Ngai is the least developed, and Koh Lanta is a very nice island with it getting quieter the further south you go. All these islands have accomodations for every price range.

Kathie Sep 15th, 2004 06:09 PM

Whoa! While I'm not especially fond of Phuket, not all of Phuket is as Brother describes. There are sleazy areas of Phuket and more remote areas. Phuket has a number of world-class resorts. I'll leave it to others to describe them to you.

LanaB Sep 15th, 2004 09:09 PM

Wow, that's why I love this site.
Yeah we don't want western craziness, looking for a little r&r after 2 weeks touring in the north. Any suggestions for Koh Lanta or Koh Phi Phi for around 4500? How about PP Princess or Cabana Hotel? Thanks for your input you may have saved our holiday!

JamesA Sep 15th, 2004 09:42 PM

Take a look at my reply under "Phuket Beach Resorts". Note that weather January not that good around Samui, Phuket area weather better. You need to decide what type of beach area you want. Krabi/Railey area might also be of interest to you.

brotherleelove2004 Sep 15th, 2004 10:12 PM

I apologize, I should have been more specific. I don't mean to suggest that all of Phuket is sleazy. I was referring to Patong Beach and meant to say so.

JamesA Sep 16th, 2004 01:15 AM

Perception has so much to do with this and sadly the travel industry can be somewhat lacking in descriptions of places. I guess if you have seen pictures of brilliant white sands and palm trees and expect that, large billborards advertising European beers, shopping complexes and the latest Swedish restaurant might comes as a shock to many people. Though it has to be said that busy places still, by that fact, attract a great number of people and the bottom line is that whatever people claim a large number of people really 'do' want crowded touristy places with Burgwer Bars, neon signs, loud bars etc. As I have said before, I still say, 95% plus of all of Thailand rarely or 'never' sees a tourist!! There are quiet beach areas like Bang Saphan along the Gulf coast with some great small thatched beach resorts that have the same number of visitors now as they did 10 years back, and the masses still don't flock there, same applies to many other beaches and islands. They are a hubndred miles from any Burger bar or Coffee shop, they remain quiet, almost in a time warp. Pattaya still attracts more visitors than any other beach place, and Phuket gets more and more visitors all the time. "I remember when................"

LanaB Sep 16th, 2004 08:33 PM

Thanks James. I've been busy reading all your comments on threads back over more than a year and your knowledge is valued.
After this I think that either Krabi (Sand and Sea) or Costa Lanta Resorts or Koh Lanta Island will be our choice for maybe a week. Question: Is there plenty of options for eating in these areas? Not picky about being fancy just great food at good prices. Thanks again.

firstlady Sep 16th, 2004 11:21 PM

Hi Lana,
I stayed at Cabana hotel on Phi phi last Jan. was great!the town and beaches have everything you need, why go further, remember it's already a crowded hot ferry ride to there so why go further, and by the way Kata beach is really nice and laid back, but if you don't want to go any further than Phuket then Bang Tao beach in the north is beautiful.

LanaB Sep 17th, 2004 06:51 AM

Thanks firstlady, now another question.
How busy is Phi Phi,is it easy to get around to different eating places from Cabana Hotel?
About Krabi: fly to there from Phuket, then stay at Railey West beach area?
Enough to do there? Lots of places to eat??
Confused, Lana
Thanks.

JamesA Sep 17th, 2004 07:30 AM

Phi Phi is fairly small, lots of day trippers. Krabi is OK and Railey is a good choice for beach as there is no beach at Ao nang which is the main resort/hotel area. I agree that Bang Tao on Phuket might be a good choice for you. It is fairly quiet but although Krabi and Phi Phi will give you choices of places to eat out if you want to mix that with some shopping and nightlife/entertainment Phuket might be better for you. The scenary of Krabi area is far better than Phuket. You can fly from bangkok dirtect to Krabi. There are no flights from Phuket to krabi as the door-to-door journey time from a Phuket resorts to one around krabi is just a few hours by road.

firstlady Sep 17th, 2004 07:32 AM

Phi Phi is pretty small but loads of little side streets off the main drag, all within a few minutes walk of the hotel, tons of small restaurants and beach bars, and yes it will be quite busy at that time.

nstroh Sep 17th, 2004 11:11 AM

I have been reading your comments on the Islands. We are going at the end of december for our honymoon. We have about 10 days to spare at the islands. We were thinking of doing 3 nights in Phi Phi , 2 nights in Phuket, and 4 nights in Koh Samui. From what I am reading, the whether is not as good in the Koh Samui area. Should we cancel that part of the trip and just explore the area near Phuket (like Krabi)? I am just not sure since I have heard amazing things about Koh Samui and Koh Tao. Any suggestions?

LanaB Sep 18th, 2004 09:02 AM

After thinking about this alot I need your opion on this plan:
After flying to Hong Kong and staying (3night?) fly to BBK and instead of staying there now fly up to Chiang Mai and stay around there for a week.
Fly to either Phuket or Krabi. Any airlines better than others?? Is it easier to go to Krabi or Phuket first?
Stay 3 nights in Phuket either Bang Toa or Kata or Karon depending on availabilty and $$. Then get to Krabi for 4 or 5 nights. Best way to get there?
Finally fly to BBK for 3 or 4 nights.
So opinions??
Thanks again.

Kathie Sep 18th, 2004 11:59 AM

A week is way too long for Chiang Mai. If you have a week, spend a couple of days in Chiang Mai to shop, then fly to Chiang Rai and go to the Anantara at the Golden Triangle. It's a gorgeous resort, and there is a lot to do in the area (or you can just relax and use the wonderful spa).