Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

question regarding propriety of offering tip at checkin with request for upgrade

question regarding propriety of offering tip at checkin with request for upgrade

Oct 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

On occasion it has been reported on the U.S. board that hotel guests have met with success in requesting a room upgrade, if they tip the desk clerk $20 when making the request. Would such a practice be considered offensive or improper in Thailand?
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM

i think it largely depends on the hotel but more importantly on the person who is assisting you....frankly the term ugly american comes to mind!!!
Oct 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM

I agree. Even if it works I wouldn't want to perpetuate a bad way to do business or a negative perception of Americans.
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Oct 8th, 2004, 01:06 AM

An offering of a "TIP" before the service is given is more accurately a "BRIBE".

I've given tips a few times to check in staffs at hotels around the world when they gave me a complimentary upgrade but never in order to bribe them for an upgrade.

Oct 8th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I find that on check-in the line "Is it possible for a room upgrade, I don't mind paying a modest supplement"
yields a free up-grade about 50% of the time or the offer of room upgrade at supplement (charged to my account)the rest of the time.

Tipping isn't really part of the culture in the far east and I would expect a tip "up-front" could be offensive.

I agree with the earlier poster that proffering a tip upfront could easily be misconstrued as a bribe.