Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Question for Laurieco - HSBC ATM card use in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/question-for-laurieco-hsbc-atm-card-use-in-italy-559385/)

hornbill Sep 18th, 2005 11:52 PM

Question for Laurieco - HSBC ATM card use in Italy

Hi Laurieco

If i remember correctly, you mentioned you worked with HSBC and use their ATM card during your travels.

I have an account with HSBC too and was wondering if you ever had any problem using the card in Italy? I could not access my account in the whole of
switzerland last year (including at the HSBC in Zurich) and had to use cash advance from my credit card instead! something i hope to avoid in Italy. Have you used it there before? p.s. I had no problem in Australia and France

Thanks

laurieco Sep 19th, 2005 02:56 AM

Hi Hornbill, I don't work for HSBC but I do my banking there. I never used my ATM card in Italy. I was in Italy a long time ago, before ATMs! I have used the card all over the world however, in Asia, Australia and Europe and never had a problem. Sometimes there could be maintenance to the system, which could knock it out for a few hours but I can't imagine why you had a problem in Switzerland, although I haven't been to Switzerland in 25 yeears so never used an ATM there. I assume your PIN is 4 numbers and that you access from your checking account? While I can withdraw from my savings account using an ATM at home, overseas, it has to come from my checking account, it won't work from the savings. You may want to check with the bank before you leave to see if there will be any potential problems. Good luck.

hornbill Sep 19th, 2005 05:59 PM

thanks for replying. the bank says they cant guarantee that it will work in italy. they say it should. they dont know why it didnt work in switzerland when it worked in france on the same trip.

doesnt matter. just have to hope no such problem there.

rhkkmk Sep 19th, 2005 06:05 PM

there is sometimes an issue in italy about the number of digits for your pin...some say it has to be 5, but my 4 digits worked perfectly...not hsbc, however

hornbill Sep 19th, 2005 07:25 PM

mine is 6 digits. i think in malaysia, minimum is 6 digits. many atm and credit card frauds here. terrible

laurieco Sep 20th, 2005 02:50 AM

hornbill, I've always read that in order for an ATM card to work outside of the US, the PIN must be 4 digits. Most ATM cards in the US are only 4 digits anyway, but you may want to ask HSBC anout getting a 4 digit PIN for your card. That may have been the problem you encountered in Switzerland.

laurieco Sep 20th, 2005 02:52 AM

Hmmm, now I'm wondering, if the minimum in Malaysia is 6 digits, will my ATM card work there? I sure hope so or I'm going to be very unhappy!

Kathie Sep 20th, 2005 05:50 AM

Laurie, as recently as last November I used my ATM card in Malaysia with its 4 digit number and got cash from ATMs.

laurieco Sep 20th, 2005 03:15 PM

Thanks Kathie, one less thing to worry about.

hornbill Sep 20th, 2005 03:42 PM

thanks for all the input. will just bring some euros and hope the atm works and that most things can paid by credit card