Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Question for Indian Experts (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/question-for-indian-experts-471126/)

bjm Aug 31st, 2004 04:23 AM

Question for Indian Experts

I have made arrangements for my husband and me to tour Rajasthan. I enthusiastically described the trip to friends and they may now go with us. Query: Rohetgarh is booked and, though we have a confirmed reservation, our friends are waitlisted. Reservation is for late December. Is there any place else around Rohetgarh for our friends to stay. Notice, I'm not sacrificing our room just yet.

Thanks.

Cicerone Aug 31st, 2004 05:18 AM

I don't think there is much in Rohet in terms of accommodation beyond Rohetgargh. The hotel showed up in a listing of Jodhpur hotels when I searched it, so you might try looking there. There are more hotels in Jodhpur, including a number of Heritage Hotels, and I think it is only abut 25 miles from Rohet. Not sure this is the greatest thing for two couples, maybe you all could stay in Jodhpur? Don't know much about Rohetgargh, but in my experience most Heritage Hotels are long on history and shabby chic charm and short on facilities and modern bathrooms, so maybe Jodhpur is a better place to base yourselves anyway and make a day trip to Rohet to see the fort.

Fenno Aug 31st, 2004 07:34 AM

I stayed at Rohetgarh earlier this year. It was just fine, quite comfortable and a change from staying in Jodhpur. It is not close to other hotels, so you would need to stay in Jodhpur if the four of you want to be together, which makes more sense. It's about a 40 minute drive between the two.
I'm just happy that tourist figures are so high after a long slump.

hobbes Aug 31st, 2004 12:45 PM

I love heritage hotels and think there is a charm to staying there which cannot always be replicated in modern high rise type constructions - or even for that matter Vilas properties, however gorgeous & luxurious, have no history. Have u been to the www.heritagehotels.com website? Unfortunately, and as Cicerone has pointed out, u may not have another option in Rohetgarh but could maybe identify something else.

Rajhelp50 Sep 1st, 2004 08:25 PM

Rohetgarh is a very fine place, period! However if there is no room for your friends, the situation is not likely to improve and you should consider
Fort Chanwa, Luni
Sardar Samand
Fort Dhamli

The popular Ajit Bhawan is not likely to have rooms available during the last week of the year!

bjm Sep 2nd, 2004 02:18 PM

Thanks for all your good advice. I'm striking out pretty much every place right now. I've tried Ajit Bhawan, Fort Chanwa, and Narla Rawlai (spelling may be off). We'll be driving from Jaisalmer on our way to Udaipur. I just posted a message asking if it's possible to make it from Jaisalmer to Kumbhalgarh, but I don't think so. We have a few gray hairs and sitting in a car for a long drive may not work. It looks like Jodhpur is the best bet. I'll try the other two places Rajhelp50 made. From my perspective, cleanliness is the first criteria and then I'll go as far as my budget allows, but that's preferably below a $100 and definitely not over $200. We like to travel to too many places in a given year and therefore our arrangements will always be modest. If you hear of any openings, let me know! And thanks!