Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Quality of clothing in MBK vs, Night and Weekend markets

Quality of clothing in MBK vs, Night and Weekend markets

Jul 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Quality of clothing in MBK vs, Night and Weekend markets

I've being looking with much interest your recommendations on the Big Malls in Bangkok (MBK, Chidlom, etc...)for my trip to Thailand in January. How the quality of the merchandise compares to the night and weekend markets? I'm not looking for expensive clothes or shows; just the same you can buy in the states but at lower prices (e.g. T-shirts, bags, shirts, pants, etc.) Will appreciate your comments.
Jul 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM

It's my guess that the clothes that you find in the markets are knock-offs and fakes. For example, I bought Birkenstocks and Tevas for maybe $3 a pair. They looked real down to the last detail, but I'm already finding that they don't wear very well. I did, however, really enjoy shopping in the markets for embellished tunics, sarongs, peasant skirts, etc. that are really in style right now. Absolute bargains! I did not buy anything in the major department stores as I found the prices to be higher than those in the US.
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Judy is right. If you look for American brands in Thailand in non authorized stores you are likely to get not very good quality knock offs. I had a similar experience with Birkenstocks and will never buy knock off fottwear again. Central Chitlom has some great in store brands, no knock offs. Definitely worth buying. The Night Market and Chatuchak are a bit of a luck of the draw type places. They are not necessarily well known for Western style apparel. I bought a bunch of Tintin tshirts at the Night Market - great designs and prices, only lasted a season!
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM

There are wonderful things to buy in Bangkok but american brand clothing isn't it -- at least in my experience.You can find terrific Thai t-shirts and bags and can have great shirts and pants made.
Jul 20th, 2005, 07:34 PM

there are brands like Giordano and U2 which are casuall and kind of look like GAP cloths.

the prices are basiclay the same as the GAP...

Tokyu department store in MBK always has a big clearnce section in the mens and womens sections. they offer good quality clothes at deep dicounts.

Jul 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM

you can occasionally find western brand items which are produced in thailand but it is rare....we have found ecco shoes and some kids stuff but not much..

the quality in the markets, weekend market and street vendors is not great, but the prices are cheap....like a polo shirt for $3....

the stores like robinsons and central have some inexpensive items like some home furnishings, but clothes are generally much more expensive than in the usa...

the really good cheap clothing you get in thailand is the custom made stuff...suits, jackets, pants, shirts and blouses....they cost less than standard us purchased items....for instance, i recently bought 6 custom made mens button down shirts for $80 US....i pay almost that much for one at home...
Jul 21st, 2005, 04:27 AM

Tailored clothing is a real bargain in BKK, for the most part. It should fit well, as you are measured and have at least one fitting, to make sure the size is right. If you have a favorite item, they will copy it for you in a variety of fabrics! My son has several copies of a favorite Hugo Boss shirt, done in linen. Very nice!

I just wanted to point out that the clothing at MBK is for Thai people, for the most part, and is SMALL. I am a sz 12 and cannot find things that fit me at Tokyu. I'm also nearly 6' tall, and the Thais are about 5' to 5'3"... If you are petite, get ready for shopping heaven! LOL

Central Chitlom and the stores at Gaysorn and World Central Plaza are more for the tourists and offer western styles and sizes, but Bob is right. Prices are not cheap.

If you go to the markets, you will find some "one size fits all" items with elastic waist and oversized fit tops for cheap prices. There is no place to try on, and no chance to return something you don't like, so be careful. I LOVE the cotton/rayon pull on pants in bright prints and two very nice deep pockets. They are very comfortable! I've replaced the elastic in the waist though, but I still like them, as well as long pull on skirts w/elastic. Good bargains and comfy.

Carol
Jul 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM

Bangkok is for tailor-made clothing which one can get at great prices. When I buy off the rack clothes then I stick with labels like British India which Bangkok has excellent sales on as compared to the same store I shop at in Singapore. There's no actual British India store in Bangkok, but small sections, in the womwn's section, of some department stores.British India also has a men's collection. Plus it's cut in Western sizes and the quality is very high. Many Thai clothes/shoes are either too small or too short for me.And many of the items in markets are not of good quality. Happy Travels!
Jul 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your valuable information. Last April I was in China and was able to buy some very cheap suits (good fabrics) from 40 to 60 dollars, Jackets from 10 to 30 dollars and ties for about $5; just right my size (i'm Thai size, just 5`3"). So I guess is going to be a shopping heaven for me. My wife is also 5'3". Rhkkmk: Regarding the custom made shirts, where can you do that? Another thing, I'm not so interested in American brands, just good quaility fabrics made in Thailand or elsewhere. Also, any store recommendations for women's clothes?
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM

Guenmai, we have in common the Four Seasons and now British India - one of my fav brands EVER! What high quality linen! Available at Central Chitlom. Great mens and womens clothes. Espirit also has a good range in Emporium. Wander thru Emporium, the mall, not only the dept store - you may find something you like at Soda or Greyhound.
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM

There are some nice Thai brands such as Keven and Greyhound. They both have small stores at Siam Center. You can also find those brands at Ceentral Chitlom dept store. They have nice mens and womens clothes, and especially if you are on the petite size.

I guess I'll have to check out British India!

Carol
Jul 21st, 2005, 07:20 PM

you can find all these brands but i don't think you will find the price appealing....also you not only have to be short you have to be very slight...and i mean very slight...you will see....DO NOT GO BY ANY SIZE WRITTEN ON A TAG...

the shirts are from jack at monet il sarto tailoring, 2nd floor, marriott resort and spa mini mall...

others have specials, but i would be very careful...the only issue i have with the shrits is the sleeves shrink quite a bit so i often have them at least one inche too long....after a few washings they are correct...the rest of the shirt does not seem to shrink...jack pre washes the fabric for me before shirts are made...

jack also does womens clothing...his prices are excellent...make sure you have a few fittings...he will also deliver to your hotel...i think he will do fittings in the hotel as well, but you need to go to the shop to select fabrics...

my wife likes two other shops: in revier city shopping center she uses js thai silk on the ground floor near the info booth and in OP place, the shopping center in back of the oriental hotel she goes to cotton house on the ground floor...both make cotton and especially silk women's clothing and some mens...they have suggestions and js has some ready made things...prices are decent and the workmanship is excellent...

we find very little to wear in the markets or the department stores (most things are too expensive)...my wife did buy tons of flip flops (sandals) this trip in the markets...lots with stones or glittery things on them including shells...price 199 B to 550 B...watch the widths and know the european size you need...
Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Hobbes- I can't wait to get back to both Singapore and Bangkok next month because the first place I will head to in Singapore is to the British India store in Raffels City Shopping Mall...and then I'll hit the other locations around town. I have a British India wardrobe at home. As for Espirit...it's a California company that was big in the 70s and 80s. We had a huge store in West Hollywood that's probably been closed for 20 years now. I haven't even seen the clothes around. Maybe they only do export. The original label was Young Edwardian back in the 70s...then it went over to Espirit. HAppy Travels!
Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM

Espirit is now owned by an Asian comapny, forget which country, hence reasonable in Asia.
Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:11 PM

Interesting, Hobbes. Espirit in the 80s and 90s was great. Very creative, very Californian, and nice bright colors. Then it just fizzled out. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread