Singapore or bust

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore or bust

Looking forward to my first trip to Singapore next week, would like to know some of the best things to see and do in three days. Also has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Atrium is it any good. I am thinking of travelling by train to KL any thoughts.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:18 AM

Haven't stayed there before. It's at the Havelock Road area where there's a cluster of hotels nearby. It's not in the vincinity of a MRT station though. It's a short taxi ride away from Orchard Road and Chinatown though.

If you're set on taking the train I would suggest the express which leaves around 11pm and arrives in KL at about 7am. You could get a sleeping berth.
I would recommend taking a luxury coach to KL which takes around 5 hours only.

https://www.aeroline.com.sg/

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

for info on Singapore

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis.../en/index.html
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...ttractions.htm

The best thing about Singapore is the wide variety of food which fits every budget. Try to fit in a visit to a local hawker center.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KMloke for your help, I was thinking of a day train to KL so I could see the countryside.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM

errr, you could but it takes longer and secondly gets boring after a while. Sorry if I was not clear earlier. You could see about the same on the luxury coach. It's actually a bus. There's quite a few coach companies operating to KL.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:39 PM

Some things we enjoyed in Singapore:

Go to the Emerald Hill historical area. This is just off the Orchard Road shops; pedestrians only, lovely restored homes, a charming area to walk.

Go to the Raffles Hotel and go inside. It's all beautiful gardens and shops. I think you can't wear shorts or bare clothing. It's one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. There is also an American deli there, if you've been away for a while.

Ride the subway. It's so modern and easy and clean - a pleasure.

Go see the new Esplanade (performing arts complex). There are tours twice a day; otherwise you can't get into the main auditorium, which looked beautiful. I think they are 10:30 and 2:30.

There is a beautiful Asian Civilizations museum. We couldn't get there because we accidentally went to the old site, which is a small part of it. We were the only people on the English-speaking tour (11am) and enjoyed speaking to our British guide.

Buses are also easy. Taxis are cheap.

We only had one day, and I am sorry we didn't have more time. There really is plenty to do. Hope you enjoy it.

Sylvia
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:33 PM

The two locations of the Asian Civilizations museum are lovely. I also love to visit the Orchid Garden located within the Botanical Gardens. Do stop in a Raffles. Visit their small museum and have a fabulous lunch at Doc Cheng's. Ask for one of the curtained booths.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:54 PM

Yes, I've stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was very nice. Happy Travels!