Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Purchasing prescription glasses in Vietnam or Thailand

Purchasing prescription glasses in Vietnam or Thailand

Jan 17th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Purchasing prescription glasses in Vietnam or Thailand

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help us by recommending where to go for prescription glasses in Vietnam or Thailand. We have heard Vietnam is very cheap for prescription glasses but don't know about Thailand. We are spending a month traveling around Vietnam. We were thinking of getting them in Hanoi as we have about 5-6 days there however we could get them in Ho Chi Minh but we are only there for about 2 days before we take off traveling around that area. We will be arriving in Hanoi during TET which could also create a problem. We arrive there on the 19th of Feb and fly to Bangkok on the 24th of Feb. We then spend a month in Thailand. We are leaving in a week and would appreciate any help people could give us. Thanks ginny
Jan 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM

I'd buy them in BKK. Many more options and the quality is better. Bring your presciption with you to speed up the process.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks can you suggest where to go in BKK and how much glasses cost there?
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM

I bought prescription sunglasses in Hanoi a few years ago and it was a somewhat surreal experience. The staff and I couldn't speak each other's language, and as near as I could judge the eye chart was in Cyrillic characters. The result was predictable.

The good news was that for an all-up bill of US$50 I got a nice pair of faux-Gucci frames that my own optometrist thought were the genuine article (I got her to fit them with proper lenses when I got home).

As the price of good frames in this country amount to highway robbery, the deal was a good one. If you can get decent prescription lenses to go with them it's even better.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM

In BK at a chain (4++ stores) called Charon (spelling?) where I bought 2 frames. A Cartier 22K gold frame was $350 vs. $1150 in US and a pair of Gold & Wood were $225 vs. $800 in US. I needed Verilux Panamic with transition lenses and they said it would take them 3 days to get and cut them properly so I took the frames home. My lenses cost more than the frames. I did get an international warantee and verified once home that the Cartier were genuine.Hope that helps.
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Do a search here, there have been several posts about buying prescription glasses in Bangkok. On our most recent trip, Cheryl bought glasses (progressive lenses, Armani frames) with the best Hoya lenses and paid about half of what she would have paid in the US. She also purchased prescription sunglasses for a great price. She purchased at Paris Miki in SIam Paragon. Siam Paragon has 6 optical shops all located in close proximity to each other. She ordered her glasses out first day in Bangkok, and picked them up when we came make through Bangkok on our way home.

I would definitely recommend Bangkok rather than Hanoi for selection and quality.
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM

In Bangkok, along Petchaburi near Pratunam, you'll find shop after shop of eyeglass stores. My BF had me take his frames and prescription to have glasses made and told me *about* where to go. He said any of the stores would be fine (he used to live in Thailand, has gone back several times and still has many friends there). Unfortunately, he couldn't give me good enough directions for me to feel comfortable trying to find the area, so I depended on one of his friends to advise me instead. He took me to a more expensive store in Central Chitlom near where he lives. Later, my daughter and I found the row of stores my BF had referred to, by accident, as we were walking from the Asia Hotel to Pratunam.

I can't speak for the quality or reliability of these stores since we didn't go to any, but my BF did feel confident that any would be fine to make his glasses. The store we used (can't remember the name anymore) was fine, but not as inexpensive as my BF was expecting.

Search this Thread