Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Purchasing flights while in Bangkok or Singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/purchasing-flights-while-in-bangkok-or-singapore-559256/)

Susan33 Sep 18th, 2005 10:21 AM

Purchasing flights while in Bangkok or Singapore

I have posted about this trip before but now I need information about air flights.

In February, my husband and I are planning a trip to Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, and Malaysia. We are using frequent flyer miles and are allowed two stops.

We thought we would fly to Bangkok and spend some time. Then purchase a ticket for a flight to Singapore and spend some time there before going to Malaysia for awhile. Then return to Singapore and fly back to Bangkok.

From Bangkok we would use the frequent flyer miles ticket to get to Hong Kong to spend some time before return to the USA.

So I need information on how to find an inexpensive flight from Bangkok to Singapore and back. The best I have found is with Swiss Air for around $250 each. After that the other airlines are around $500 each.

Is this the going rate? Are there less expensive flights? Is there an airline that I have missed? Are there super deals out there?

I would really appreciate any information.

Thanks--Susan

glorialf Sep 18th, 2005 10:30 AM

Check out the thread help...airfare...from guenmai for information on those flights.

glorialf Sep 18th, 2005 10:44 AM

I sent the thread ttt so it should be easy to find

JamesA Sep 18th, 2005 10:51 AM

Bangkok to Singapore is highly competative, $250 is B 10,000 return, $ 500 is B 20,000 return, those are craxy fares, I can fly to Australia from BKK return for about B 23,000 !

You have budget airlines on the route plus Thai, Singapore Airlines, Cathay pacific, swiss, Finnair and Turkish and others.

The budget carriers would be the cheapest but they don't usually open bookings until 3 months ahead, but you can get an idea of flights, and if you want to fly to KL from Singapore you take the bus to Johor Bharu ( across from Singapore ) and fly to KL with Air Asia:-

www.airasia.com
www.tigerairways.com
www.valuair.com

I think you should wait until November to book when the budget carriers will have their fares out, I just checked Singapore Airlines online fares direct with Singapore Airlines.

If I wanted a return next week from BKK to Singapore they only want about USD145 return, if I wanted a flight in October about USD 220, so you see how it goes, there is never a problem getting a cheap flight between the 2 cities unless it is like Christmas/New year or Chinese New Year ( not sure those date )

Checking a flight for October Valuair want B 3,500 fare and B 1,900 in taxes, total B 5,420, that is USD 135 return ! Ok, you pay for food and drinks, no big deal.

Tiger Airways retrun in October SGD 150 = USD 89 !!

relax, wait until November and book a budget flight or check online deals with Singapore Airlines, for a travel agent in bangkok who is good for cheap flights ( but the Budget carriers you need to book online at their websites ) try Seatours ( Bob has Eddy's email but I will search back and try to find )

JamesA Sep 18th, 2005 11:00 AM

Seatours Bangkok: [email protected]

This seems to be tonights subject!

rhkkmk Sep 18th, 2005 11:15 AM

i think i would fly to singapore and then work my way back???? less flying...forget the stops allowed...any flying out of or into singapore is more costly than any other place in asia...

you can save money by going over the bridge to JB in malaysia and flying from there as well...

there are the new cheap air lines so this may not be an issue now....$250 seems like too much to me...

Susan33 Sep 18th, 2005 12:08 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them out.