Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Purchasing Crocodile Products in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/purchasing-crocodile-products-in-thailand-462985/)

austine Jul 27th, 2004 08:31 PM

Purchasing Crocodile Products in Thailand

Is it possible to purchase crocodile or alligator purse in Thailand? If so where should I look and what is the approximate cost for a purse? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

glorialf Jul 28th, 2004 06:09 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen crocodile purses in Bangkok in the better leather stores in Oriental Place. They sell a lot of stingray and a few crocodile if I'm not mistaken.

Guenmai Jul 28th, 2004 06:59 AM

I have heard that there are some stores in the World Trade Center. However, I don't buy my crocodile/alligator products in Bangkok....Singapore is the GREAT place for those items. I'll give you the place I shop at in Singapore just in case you ever decide to go there in the future...Kaiyo reptile Products PTE.LTD 14-16, Chang Charn Road, Singapore...Tel 4790909. It's near Hoifhat Road. It's a huge warehouse place and when you walk in there are different types of skins hanging on the wall.Products in that region of the world are stamped.."Crocodile Product"...however crocodile falls under...crocodile, alligator, and caiman. Caiman is a less expensive skin...so ask what you're getting. And the side of the animal is a more expensive cut. The top of the animal gives you that bumpy look.At Kaiyo, paperwork is presented to you stating exactly what it is...Mississippi alligator being at the top as far as quality. Plus, the paperwork states that the animal was not taken from the wild as an endangered species. I grew up around alligator products.My grandfather was always decked out in them. If you ever get to Kaiyo just bargain hard. If you're buying a big item like a purse just take out your calculator and immediately take off 30% and bargain from there. They also have leather items and ostrich. Take a taxi there and when they ask if a driver brought you say ,"No".They will also pick you up at your hotel and take you there, but I prefer to arrive on my own.And after making a purchase, they will drive you back to your hotel....a lot of folks don't know this...I always ask them to drop me off. It's a huge place with an incredible selection. You can get a small purse of Mississippi alligator for about $700. as opposed to about $3,000 in the States. And they have all styles, colors,types of skins, etc. And they have a wallet, belt,etc...section, too. Sorry I couldn't help you with Bangkok, but my shopping focus is not crocodile products when I'm in Bangkok because I have heard that unless you really know crocodile, you can get ripped off and inferior products.Happy Travels!

simpsonc510 Jul 28th, 2004 02:02 PM

There is a shoe store on the second floor at MBK shopping mall in Bangkok that sells crocodile purses. I've looked at them before but haven't bought any. I can not remember the prices. Sorry.

You might also try the Thai Crafts building across the street from the World Trade Center. I just saw croc there a few weeks ago. I bought an ostrich skin purse there and paid about $300 for a really nice one! The shop was on the street level floor, near the front, on the left side as you are looking in. The craft building has many stalls on a couple of floors.

Good luck!

institcher Jun 19th, 2005 10:38 AM

We are leaving for BKK in a few days - thanks MUCH to all the Fodorites & particularly Bob who have shared their experiences.
A friend mentioned crocodile purses to me. We will only be in BKK & SR. Does anyone have additional info on where to get them/cost since the above posts last year?
Thanks!

Guenmai Jun 19th, 2005 12:58 PM

My information is still current. Happy Travels!

CFW Jun 20th, 2005 02:41 AM

The store on the second floor of MBK has a large selection & I think the alligator/crocodile purses are in the $300 price range for a nice sized bag. I don't remember seeing shoes there, but they had a huge selection of leather goods of all types - belts, wallets, purses. Have fun!

Guenmai Jun 20th, 2005 06:52 AM

Be careful when you select an item. There are items with crappy skins. For small items like wallets it doesn't matter as much...as to what part of the body the skin came from... but for a handbag you need to know what you're doing. There are plenty of "cheap" items, but that's exactly what they are "cheap". And check the construction of the bags,too. Also ask EXACTLY what kind of skin it is. All the products will be stamped crocodile, but that is a GENERIC label. If the store is trying to sell you caiman at Mississippi alligator prices and you don't catch it, then you will be HAD. Happy Travels!