Reload this Page >

Seeking suggestions on what to buy in China

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Francine

I will be visiting the end of February and am wondering what are the best things to buy. Won't have a lot of time for shopping. Will be staying in Shanghai, Beijing, Xian. Thanks.<BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Elaine

In Beijing buy cheap watch with a picture of Mao waving. You get in Tieman Square. I hope they are still selling them. We did not buy them thinking we could get them anywhere. Not so. If you see them, could you get 3 for me. I will pay whatever!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Sandy

Hi Francine,<BR><BR>If you're looking for something &quot;really&quot; nice, buy a silk comforter for your bed.<BR><BR>I had never even heard of them but someone who had been to China the year before and was returning said that's the only thing she was sorry she had not bought more of and would buy on this trip.<BR><BR>OK, back to the comforters . . . they are super lightweight and much warmer (I think) than down. They usually come in three weights--light, medium, heavy. Being from Texas with almost no really cold weather, I opted for the medium . . . it is absolutely heavenly and almost too warm. It hardly is heavier than a sheet and the silk cover feels great.<BR><BR>I bought a cover for mine, went with the silk on one side, cotton on the other (where it would stay on the bed and not slip off).<BR><BR>The shop shrink-wrapped everything and put them in a nice little case to cart home.<BR><BR>They are a little pricey, I think I paid about $170 for the comforter and cover but now that I have it, it is well worth it. Oh, it's also non-alergic.<BR><BR>I wish I had been able to buy one for my kids but we were traveling on our own and could not carry more (shipping was VERY expensive and the store would not give me a break for buying more than one. The Chinese need some serious help in selling and marketing. If they would have given me any kind of break, I would have bought at least 4 more).<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Sandy

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Kathy

I bought some great reverse painted snuff bottles...glass snuff bottle is clear with an opaque white color inside. The design on the bottle is painted from the inside (reverse-painted). You'll find them all over China and the quality and price varies. Spend a little time comparing the quality at various dealers before you purchase and make sure the bottle stands up on it own. I didn't and have one without a completely flat bottom and it can't stand up for display. They are small and reasonably priced and easy to carry. They each come with a cloth covered box for storage.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM
lorna

You can buy great Chinese kites--spectacular designs and colors--on Tiannamen Square in Beijing for less than $5.00 each. They make nice gifts.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Maureen Murphy

Great suggestions above. Kites are delicate and hard to pack but lovely. The bottles can be personalized. We had individual names painted inside each. Great personal gift.<BR>I would suggest you visit a ChinaTown in a city near you before you go. If you are lucky enough to visit San Fran, that is the best. You'll see the latest items on sale and you will be able to pick them up for a fraction of the cost. We bought t-shirts for $1-$3 each and they are great quality. I wear with pride my Great Wall shirt, having climed it. Also so proud to have a brag shirt from the cruise on the river. So much to buy....you are overwhelmed. It is so much fun. If in doubt, buy it as you may never see the item again. You are sheperded to government stores that are more costly but when you hit a bazaar....BUY BUY BUY. Bring lots of singles...big items can be bought with credit cards. Be sure to notify your credit card company of your visit to china to expedite purchase processing. Have fun!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Peter N-H

I presume the reference in the posting above to 'singles' means US$1 notes. I cannot understand why advice to take $1 notes appears from time to time on this board. China operates with its own money, US dollars are of no use to you, and it's patronizing to wander around handing them out as if they are somehow superior.<BR><BR>Furthermore, a US dollar is worth approximately Y8.2, whereas much you'll want to buy in China costs less than that, and just about anything costs a sum in between multiples of Y8.2, which makes the US$ highly inconvenient. Its use, where you can find people to accept it, is actually likely to increase the price you'll pay. <BR><BR>In fact, offering it labels you as someone who has no idea what is going on, and those few vendors who would accept US dollars are precisely those who are used to dealing with foreigners who haven't a clue, and overcharging them.<BR><BR>So change your money into Yuan RMB, carry plenty of Y1, Y2, Y5, and Y10 bills and coins, and enjoy your bargaining.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Nsncy

In Xian, I really like the alleys near the mosque as well as the streets around the access steps to the city wall. Interesting handicrafts and leather hatboxes. Calligraphy brushes and accessories like inkstones are a very good buy.<BR><BR>People on this site have mentioned the Hongqiao market in the Chongwen District in Beijing. A great place for fake bags and fake pearls, jade and other gems. The first floor is dried fish, but once you get upstairs you will find bags on one floor, and pearls and antiques on several others. Be warned, the pearls are fakes not matter WHAT they tell you. Some may be freshwater, but none are cultured pearls. But the prices are great, they will make necklaces, bracelets and earrings while you wait and you can get unusual clasps like ming symbols. A really fun afternoon. The Friendship store in Beijing is also worth a visit. They have the reverse-painted snuff bottles mentioned above, as well as a tremendous amount of other merchanise. Prices are fixed, no bargaining here.<BR><BR>Two words of advice for all shopping in Asia: bargain hard and pay cash. Many Americans are not comfortable bargaining, but just dive in. Go at least 40% below their offering price, lower if you want. Tell them a price they ask is a number that is unlucky for you, make an offer with an 8 or 88 in it (8 is a lucky number, avoid 4). At the end of the day, if it is an item you want and the price seems good to you, then it doesn't matter; but bargaining is part of the fun. As for cash, you will get a better price all the time. If you are having a hard time getting them to agree t o a price, tell them you will pay what they are asking with a credit card, or your favored price in cash. Note that smaller shops and street stalls will most likely not take credit cards.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Peter N-H

Just a point about the Friendship Store. Everything in it is overpriced, and you most certainly can and should ask for a discount on the marked price, and then haggle in a good-humoured way for a little more. This goes for some ordinary domestic items, not just obviously priced-for-tourists souvenirs. I recently bought a boxed set of games as a present for a friend, and bargained 40% off the price without difficulty. Only those who don't ask, don't get discounts. And the Chinese (who never shop there, however, as they know very well it's tourist-as-victim territory) always ask.<BR><BR>The Friendship Store is best for those in a hurry who want to pick up a variety of things in one spot, and don't mind paying 50% more than they need to.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Laurel

Buy some of the adorable little toys that you see that are unique to China. I bought some in one of the water villages outside of Shanghai.One of the Chinese ladies on our tour gave me the idea. They are easy to pack, look great on your shelves at home and they are a little different than the usual stuff, and very reasonable (cheap). At the Shanghai acrobats I bought two pandas that move around the floor and chew bamboo-they are adorable!