Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Pubs in Hong Kong (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/pubs-in-hong-kong-481810/)

tracy90 Oct 21st, 2004 06:55 PM

Pubs in Hong Kong

Where is the most popular pubs in Hong Kong. Will be spending my halloween in HKG and and to check out the fun in HKG. Please provide the name of pub and address.
Thanks a lot

hobbes Oct 21st, 2004 06:57 PM

Most of the fun pubs in HK are cenred around a fairly short lane called Lankwai Fong - nearest MTR stop is Central, exit near Landmark/Pedder St, cross the road to D'Aguilar St and walk upwards - a little bit up the road is Lankwai Fong with a sleection of pubs and generally quite a bit of activity and actiom. NOt sure which ones have Halloween specials on.

tracy90 Oct 21st, 2004 07:12 PM

Thanks. I am also thinking of going to Lan Kwai Fong but don't know which one to go. Do they have a cover charge when you enter? By the way, what time does the MTR stop servicing on Sunday nite?

rkkwan Oct 21st, 2004 08:45 PM

MTR stops running at around 12:45am to 1am daily, depending on which train you're getting and where you're getting on.

They run overnight few days a year - like Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve & Mid-Autumn Festival. But Halloween isn't one of those occassion.

Walter_Walltotti Oct 22nd, 2004 07:14 AM

If by pubs - you mean English / Aussie style pubs, I've found "Ned Kelly's Last Stand" in Kowloon excellent. Beer, pub grub and live jazz music.

I find many of the bars in Lankwai Fong a posey for my tastes

LucyHo Oct 22nd, 2004 08:32 PM

The is a guide called asiabynight which has lists of places to go at night and also lists the special events so no doubt they will show the ones with special Holloween Parties, they also have an events diary so you can see what is going on for Halloween in Hong Kong and other Asian cities.

hobbes Oct 23rd, 2004 03:11 AM

Never been on a night when they had a cover charge...

rhkkmk Oct 23rd, 2004 10:17 AM

in kowloon, dan ryan's which is american owned is bound to have something going on....it in the ocean terminal, just next to the star ferry...just look up outside the ferry area and you will see their sign...

Walter_Walltotti Oct 24th, 2004 07:35 AM

Dan Ryan's is fine but it is IMO a bit more food orientated.

Cicerone Oct 25th, 2004 06:13 AM

Generally the holiday is celebrated in Saturday night in terms of bars, etc. Halloween is not otherwise a holiday (no trick or treating except by US kids in certain apt buildings) so Sunday night probably won?t be as big a celebration night in the bars as Saturday.

If you are going to Lan Kwai Fong, be prepared for huge and somewhat unruly groups of people. There is no cover charge anywhere that I am aware of except for girlie bars in Wan Chai which I assume would not interest you. The bars in Lan Kwai Fong are all pretty much in the same square block and are open to the street, so the party generally spills out into the streets. Most bars in the Lan Kwai Fong area will be doing something, the one which usually has a big do is Mad Dogs on D' Aguilar St.

The Hard Rock Cafe usually also puts on a big party. They are in Kowloon on Canton Street.

You may also want to try bars in the Soho area (one street up from Hollywood Road)