Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   PSA: Rayavadee (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/psa-rayavadee-483453/)

neworleanslaura Oct 31st, 2004 06:19 AM

PSA: Rayavadee

We just returned from a wonderful honeymoon in Thailand... I wanted to take a moment to let you know about our experience at Rayavadee.

We deciced to splurge and spend some time there, but were very disappointed. The grounds are not in good condition, the beaches are crowded with people and long-tail boats and the room are a huge disappointment. The water pressure was so low that we could neither shower nor bathe, the room was extremely dusty and our bed was missing sheets. The place felt like a tourist factory. Not what you expect from a (very expensive) luxury resort. Needless to say, we spent our day there on the internet looking for something else and moved the next morning (which they were very gracious about).

Our opinion: Rayavadee was once probably pretty spectacular but is now tired, not well-maintained and certainly not worth the money.

The scenery around Krabi is certainly stunning though and we would reccomend finding another resort in the area. We moved to Nakamanda and loved it (and it was half the price!)

Hope this helps!
Laura

jvrab12 Oct 31st, 2004 09:25 AM

Thank you Laura. We too are going there on our honeymoon next November and were highly thinking about the Rayavadee. I am going to now look into the Nakamada.

tropicsteve Oct 31st, 2004 09:42 AM

I am about to book sand and sea resort ,I think it was next door to that...any comments on this property

neworleanslaura Oct 31st, 2004 10:33 AM

I've never heard of the Sand and Sea. Which beach is it on?

rhkkmk Oct 31st, 2004 12:49 PM

what did the hotel say when you complained??

anna_k Oct 31st, 2004 06:50 PM

I stayed at the Sand and Sea in Feb 2003. It was fine, the rooms were in good condition and clean. The included buffet breakfast is decent. Our only complaint was that the air conditioning wasn't working well in our unit, but they sent someone to look at it. Our friend stayed in another bungalow and his worked fine. It's not a luxury resort, the Rayavadee is in an entirely different category. If you search under Sand and Sea here, you'll find some more information.

ps1111 Nov 4th, 2004 02:24 PM

Excellent information, thank you! We are staying at Nakamanda in January. Any tips on the resort or things to do?

Lyndie Nov 4th, 2004 02:56 PM

Hi n.o.laura
Rayavadee was on my "dream hotels" list but at $AUD1000 a night my partner just would not spring for it! I'm very sorry to hear it did not meet your expectations but glad you were able to find somewhere which did! The longtails sometimes bothered us in Apr when we stayed at Railay Village (not recommended) so this time we've booked way down the opposite end of the beach to Rayavadee, at Railay Bay. It's the "luck of the draw" sometimes! Railay is one of my favourite places in the world so we'll continue to go as long as it's not too developed. Tks for posting and warning us and your post may shake the management of Rayavadee awake!