Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Private Care PP to SR with child
Notices

Private Care PP to SR with child

Sep 20th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Private Care PP to SR with child

Hi - We have gotten a lot of great advice on our trip to Cambodia this November. Now have one more set of questions . Rather than flying from PP to SR or taking a bus, we were thinking of hiring a driver in order to make stops along the way and see the countryside a bit -- plus thought it might be more interesting for our 6 year old daughter...

Any thoughts on this plan? Is it worth taking our time? It seems like we could maybe stop at 1 or 2 places like Skun to see the roasted tarantulas, Sambor Prei Kuk, Kompong Thom or Kompong Kde but still make it to Siem Reap before dark. Is this feasible? And if so, what stops would you recommend?

What is the best way to find a driver? Do you have any thoughts on costs for this kind of a trip?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sep 21st, 2016, 09:31 AM

It is a long old drive, especially with a six year old. A taxi should cost $70-100 - towards the higher end if you want to include some stops. http://kiwitaxi.com/Cambodia/Phnom+P...tm_medium=taxi Can be booked online.

Mekong Express have lux minibuses for c$14 PP and are very good. Konpong Thom is a nice enough town but not worth the special effort. The other places I don't know.

Personally, I would be inclined to fly and maybe make a trip out into the country from SR. alternatively, go the other way around Tonle Sap and spend a couple of days in Battambang - lots to see including the bamboo railway, some nice temples and the bat caves.
Sep 23rd, 2016, 05:47 AM

I concur with crellston. A young child does not understand the concept of a long car ride with multiple stops. They only see confinement, and will get cranky.

That's a wonderful idea to go to Battambang. Crellston made a fine list of what to see there, but I would also like to add the circus. The young people that put on the performance are so cute, and they twist and contort in all sorts of weird ways. I believe the circus is only a couple of nights a week, so plan accordingly. There are also some historical sites near Battambang from the Pol Pot regime, such as a place where he threw bodies over a cliff, and there is a shrine with a bunch of skeletons. Your child may find it interesting, or she may find it disturbing, so I'll leave that one up to you. I also did a walking tour of Battambang to see the historic buildings, and that took 3/4 of a day.

I had a driver meet me at the SR airport, and he took me directly to Battambang. It took about three hours. Then, he picked me up two days later, and took me directly to my SR hotel. It worked out really well.

Search this Thread