price of intrachina flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving for China this Saturday and are planning on going to Shanghai then Xi'an then Beijing. After reading previous messages posted on this site, we've decided to buy our tickets for each of these legs once we get to China. We're just wondering how much we should expect to pay for each flight (Shanghai to Xi'an and Xi'an to Beijing)? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Neera
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 01:48 PM

If you search this forum by typing in "china airfares", you will find your answers in 2) under the title "Shanghai-Xian-Beijing Airfares"
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:41 PM

In March my husband and I flew one-way to X'ian from Beijing and it cost 530RMB($64.55 USD).We bought the tickets in our hotel's business office.
You also have to pay a airport fee of 50RMB.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I found the exact post mentioned but what I did find suggests that we should expect to pay around $120-$150 per leg. Brendon, it sounds like you got a better deal from your hotel-would you mind telling me the name of it? Thanks again! Neera
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM

If you have indeed looked back at previous messages on this topic, then you should have seen frequent advice that booking from an agent inside a hotel is probably going to be more expensive than booking through an agent outside, especially one away from expat and big hotel areas. Asking how much a ticket will cost for a particular domestic route makes as much sense as asking the same for a trans-Pacific one--it depends very largely on time of year, and demand. You can only get a most general idea (although I would have put the figure a little lower than the one you quote--the price given for Beijing to Xi'an is nothing out of the ordinary, although routes with less competition cost more per km.), and you must bargain the price down at the agent.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, based on your book and the previous messages on this site we figure we should stay away from our hotel lobby when trying to book pretty much anything. However, we thought it would help to get a general range of how much the flights should cost to 1) be able to budget accordingly and 2) know whether or not we're getting ripped off when we buy the tickets. Thanks for the advice, Neera
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Hi Neera,
We stayed at the Best Western Beijing.The hotel assistant mgr. Tony was extremly helpful.