President Solitaire hotel - Bangkok

Dec 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

President Solitaire hotel - Bangkok

I have just returned from Bangkok, where I stayed at the President Solitaire hotel. This is the newest of the President Hotels in Bangkok. I would highly recommend this hotel. Initially, I was disappointed to not be staying on the river, but after seeing the size of the hotels on the river (too large), I was happy to be at the Solitaire. The Solitaire is luxury on a smaller scale. This is an all-suite hotel-128 suites -our suite included a separate foyer, bedroom, sitting area with sofa and chair, kitchenette area with microwave and full size refrigerator. Also, a little breakfast counter with two stools. Bathrooms are very nice with double sinks and walk-in shower that is separate from tub. Little touches included: magnifying mirror in bath, 42" plasma TV, ceiling fan, a wonderful desk, free internet access 24 hours/day, a great spa in the hotel, a wonderful restaurant (with complimentary buffet breakfast that was Thai and American - lots of food - we never needed lunch), and other little things that added up to feeling very safe and comfortable. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is a little off the beaten path - Soi 11 in the Sukhumvit area. It sits back from the main road about 2 blocks. It is a 2 1/2 block walk to the NANA skytrain station (take a tuk-tuk or it is a nice walk to walk off the huge breakfast, and lots of little shops along the way). I believe the hotel may also provide a free shuttle to the Nana station. As we took the Skytrain so much - the location was convenient. I have not stayed in any other hotel in BKK, so I cannot compare; however, we were very pleased with the President Solitaire.
Dec 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Thanks a million for the report! The President Solitaire is one of the serviced apartment buildings on my list for summer 2006. I've been to BK many times on vacation, but have decided to stay for 2 months in summer 2006. I have gone through a list of over 30 serviced apartment buildings and have narrowed it down to about 8.I have the President Solitaire at the bottom of my list...only because of its distance from the Four Seasons...where I plan to eat. A few buildings on my list are within walking distance of the FS. But, if there's no availabilty in them, then I'll try to get into the President Solitaire.At least it's close to Nana Station so I'd only have to go as far as Chitlom station. Thanks again for the report. Happy Travels!
Dec 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Oh, forgot to ask...what was the price? I looked it up some months ago...and it was quite high from what I remember. Happy Travels!
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Besides recommending this hotel, can you tell us more about the rest of your trip? Any good restaurants or shops? We all love a good trip report!
Dec 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Rates for the President Solitaire:
The smallest suite is approximately $112.50 USD, assuming 40baht = $1.00.
The two bedroom penthouse runs approx. $187.50 USD per night or about 7,500 baht.This is according to the flyer I picked up at the hotel. However, we rented three suites (for a group of 6) for one week, and were able to negotiate ahead of time a rate of 3,000 baht per night, or about $75.00 USDollars per night. Call and negotiate with the hotel manager.
Trip report: Six women on vacation - we "shopped 'til we dropped!" Also, did the Grand Palace, the Reclining Buddha, a dinner cruise on the river, and the canal tour. And, of course, lots of massages. Best part of the trip: 1) The dinner cruise on the river. I had to be dragged to this by my friends, but it turned out to be so memorable. Anyone planning this - take TWO cameras. Terrific food and sights. 2) The canal tour of the locals' homes on the river. This is taken on a "long boat" and takes a couple of hours. Again, take plenty of film. Both the dinner cruise and the canal tour departed from River City, but were arranged through our hotel. Restaurant recommendation: 24 Seafood - A big sign that says "If it swims, we have it." I believe (but am not sure, I will check if anyone is interested) it is a couple of blocks from the Emporium. This is a combination market/restaurant the size of a large supermarket. You take a shopping cart, and choose your seafood, vegies, bread, etc. You pay for your food. Then, you take all of this to your table. The waiters come and pick up your seafood,vegies, etc. to prepare each any way you choose. You pay separately for the preparation. All seafood is fresh (still alive). They have about 50-70 chefs cooking at the same time - all on view from the restaurant. Terrific food, and a dining experience not to be forgotten. Others in our group lived for their daily massages -as there is a very nice spa at the hotel. Not cheap for Bangkok, but first class. Offering Thai massages, Swedish massages, pedicures, manicures, facials, etc., etc. Between the spa, the restaurant, and the room, it was really difficult to leave the hotel!
But, I had a great time in Bangkok - a good city for a "Girls' Getaway."!!
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:20 PM

traveling-----.. that do your rember what soi the seafood place was located?

Guenmai... just too be nosy.. whats your top 8 choices for apartments
Dec 14th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Orgy...I have left my book of apartment choices at home. I'll either post them tomorrow or try to look them up on the computer when I have more time today. Happy Travels!
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM

The apartments I have chosen are...1)Somerset Suwan Park View/ 9 Soi Ton Son, Ploenchit Rd.,Lumpini 2) Mayfair Marriot Executive/ 60, soi Langsuan, Lumpini, Pathumwan..near Rajadamri Rd 3)The Ascott Sathorn Bangkok/187, South Sathorn Rd, Yanawa Sathorn 4)Park Suanplu Executive Residence, 39 Soi Suanplu, South Road 5)President Solitaire 6)Emporium Suites/ Sukhumvit Soi 24 7)President Park/ 95 Sukhumvit Soi 24 8)Centre Point Sukhumvit/ 39, Soi 10 Sukhumvit So, those are my choices and the first two on the list are my first choices, followed by number 3 on the list which I imagine is not far from the Sukothai and Metropolitan Hotels. I think the second one is right around the corner from the Four Seasons.As for the other apartments on the list, they are in no specific order of preference. Got to go. Happy Travels!
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Message to orgy7: Sorry I don't remember the soi for the seafood place - I will try to find out from friends leaving for BKK next week.