Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Precision Reservation (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/precision-reservation-550047/)

patsey73 Aug 8th, 2005 12:09 AM

Precision Reservation

Has anyone used Precision Reservations - internet booking service?

Many thanks.

MichaelBKK Aug 8th, 2005 01:42 AM

I think there are many posts here mentioning Precision Reservations. It's always wise to do a search before you ask a question that's already been asked several times.

I've used 'PR' for many years, since they were Planet Holiday. Their rates really are cheaper than anywhere else on the internet (although sometimes an agent can get a better rate at some hotels.)

If you're planning on travelling during a peak period, be sure to make your reservations well in advance. The low rates are achieved by bulk-booking the rooms, so the number of rooms they can sell at a hotel for the low rate is quite limited. Popular hotels are almost always sold out weeks in advance of major holidays.

watakeet Aug 8th, 2005 06:38 AM

I have used it a couple of times and it all went well. As said, you need to search around for the lowest rates, but in general the price they offer is very competitive if not the lowest.

Scotters Aug 8th, 2005 07:14 AM

While Precision is a reliable place to book it certainly is not the cheapest. There are several other sites that can beat their rates. It is always best to check quite a few sites and make sure that they are compatable ie taxes/service charges included and breakfast.

patsey73 Aug 8th, 2005 07:18 AM

Thanks for your replies, for the particular hotel I wanted I have found samui-holidays.com cheaper. Although I still have to hear back from them as to whether they have availability.

JamesA Aug 8th, 2005 07:25 AM

I shop around and sometimes check out sites other that my usual one/s, I did not find precission cheap as they then add on tax/breakfast and such. Many of these hotels are listed on many different sites, always check the absolute total before comparing. As I often say, I go for sites that provide local information for the area and a wide choice and also tell me about the hotels as opposed to just the promotion photos and rates.
I would search for cheap hotel rates and the like on Yahoo and then compare.

JamesA Aug 8th, 2005 07:26 AM

Some sites ask for credit card details 'before' you can make a request, I don't know whether these do or not but I would 'never' use any service which wanted cc details before they could tell me that the room as I wanted was available.

patsey73 Aug 8th, 2005 07:31 AM

James, which sites don't want your cc no - I'd much sooner use those? I am a bit worried now as I gave my cc details over. I also had to with Asiarooms but when they couldn't make the booking (fully booked) nothing was deducted.

TracyB Aug 8th, 2005 08:34 AM

I have searched many online res. companies for our upcoming trip..Most recently, I have checked asia rooms, expedia, asia travel, precision, trip advisor (and tons of others)..Prices do vary and so do hotels(right now I am checking for Dubai).I am holding a reservation with asia travel right now as they are confirming space..I found that they all offer different rates and hotels. Some include breakfast, some don't...Anyhow, that is my 2 cents!!

orgy7 Aug 8th, 2005 09:22 AM

I checked out precision a couple of days ago for a singapore hotel (gallery). and at first looks, they were the cheepest but i soon read a bit and saw that the price did not include taxes and some other things after seeing final price it was actualy $10 more expensive then asiatravel.com. just looking quicly presion seems too have good deals but asiatravel is the largest online agent in asia and bassed out of singapore so they seem too cut some good deals in singapore and malaysia. As james said try checking sites the are from the country you intend to go to.

JamesA Aug 8th, 2005 10:49 AM

As Orgy says Asiatravel was one of the first regional operators, based in Singapore, they have grown from a very small company into mega big in Singapore, hence they not only have great Singapore rates they have a wide choice. It differs a great deal and never forget 'choice'!! I have seen sites that offer 5 or 6 places, another maybe 10 or 20, then you find those that offer 150!!!!
Within Thailand I go for my local favorites that feed into Sawadee, for Hua Hin and that coast I go for Huahin.20m.com but for Phuket I would look at www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com, they feed through same service but they put in Phuket specials plus I get ideas, for Thailand other areas I use www.beachsiam.com ( again, they go thru Sawadee but have local specific info ), none of these want credit card details, you can book as many different hotels as you want and click them all thru, they will come back with those available and an all in price, almost all include breakfast and tax. You can click to see rates in your own currency, also one click will sort the list into price so you can see a long but clear list and then head for your price range, for Samui well over 150 places! Although they offer Singapore the rates are not as good as others so I would not use for Singapore, would go to Nongasia or www.singapore.travelreporter.com.
For Malaysia I look at Asiatravel or go to Nongasia who offer a choice of Hotelclub or Sawadee, so you can compare from one site.