Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Practical questions for Singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/practical-questions-for-singapore-847873/)

mike_L Jul 3rd, 2010 04:36 PM

Practical questions for Singapore

Just found out that I will be staying in Singapore for 3 weeks in August. Here are some practical questions:

1. What's the customs for tipping?
At hotel, taxi, and restaurant.

2. Do public bath rooms provide toilet paper?

3. Is an umrella an necessicity in Aug?

mike_L Jul 3rd, 2010 04:48 PM

Also, can one pay taxi with a major credit card?

marmot Jul 3rd, 2010 05:40 PM

1. The official policy is NO tipping anywhere; however, if you're staying at an upscale hotel or eating at an upscale restaurant tipping is welcome and expected. At the hotel I usually keep a stack of Sing$2's handy. At restaurants, check how much service has been added then round up to 10%.

2. Yes, usually

3. It's not the rainy season but it still rains. A mini umbrella is useful, or your hotel will let you have one of theirs.

4. Taxis are cheap so paying by credit card is more trouble than it's worth. If you're concerned about getting from the airport to the hotel without Sing$, your taxi will wait for you while you change money on arrival at the hotel. This is Singapore; people are helpful.

Kathie Jul 3rd, 2010 05:48 PM

Get some Singapore dollars at the airport - there are quite a number of ATMs available for your use.

KMLoke Jul 4th, 2010 04:22 AM

Where eating places include 10% service charge into the bill then tipping is not mandatory.

For taxis locals do not tip.

Umbrellas, you could bring a small one along or you could pick one up when you need it. They are sold everywhere.

bkkbest Jul 4th, 2010 05:10 AM

1. What's the customs for tipping?
At hotel, taxi, and restaurant.
Hotel : $2-$5 to the waiting staff at the executive lounge, especially if they get your drink orders during happy hour!
Chambermaid : S$5-S$10/stay
Bellhop/Housekeeping : S$2/service

Taxi : I would round up to the next S$ if the fare is more than S$x.50. Cabbies are generally honest and will give you back your exact change. Keep S$10 notes handy. Cabbies may have a problem if you give them a S$50 note.

2. Do public bath rooms provide toilet paper?
Generally yes but please check the roll holder 1st.

3. Is an umrella an necessicity in Aug?
Expect light showers so it's advisable to carry a foldable umbrella.

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2010 07:28 PM

I've never tipped a taxi driver, I always take an umbrella and have been there quite a bit in August, and I always throw some toilet paper into my small canvas day bag just in case. Happy Travels!

Kathie Jul 6th, 2010 11:22 AM

For taxis I round up to the nearest S$, but drivers don't expect a tip. For restaurants, I do as KMLoke, in regard to the service charge. I might round up, but that's all. I do always leave tips for maids. It's not expected, but it's my feeling that the people who clean rooms are always underpaid.

Clearly, people tip differntly, likely related to wher they come from. But tips are not mandatory or even expected in Singapore.