Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Post Vacation Stress Disorder??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/post-vacation-stress-disorder-614008/)

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 02:36 PM

Post Vacation Stress Disorder???

I just got back from SEA last night and had to return to work today. Jet lag doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but I'm finding myself very overwhelmed, depressed, and uninspired by my job. Not to mention, all the petty crap people are concerned with around here seems so meaningless after all the things I've experienced over the last few weeks.

I've run into this issue in the past after other long trips, but it seems even worse this time for some reason. So, how do you all cope with this?? How can I get back to my normal routine before I go insane?? I know starting to plan a future trip always helps, but it could be up to a year before we can take another week or more off. Please help!!!

P.S. - I know I owe you all a trip report. I'll be starting it later this week after I finish opening my mail, doing laundry, etc...

hawaiiantraveler May 8th, 2006 02:46 PM

LA:
I always start planning my next adventure right away....it seems to help me with the depression.
Aloha!

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 02:49 PM

Yeah, I think that's what I need to do. Otherwise, I might just get up and leave my job and then find myself homeless in a couple months :)

Bella_Bluebell May 8th, 2006 02:52 PM

Hi LA Fadeaway - I normally try to take a new class or something like that. Something that I feel inspired to take up after my travels - in the past that has been a language, learning a craft and also yoga/meditation classes. Oh - and after my last trip to Thailand I retrained as an aromatherapist and massage therapist, left my job as a solicitor, moved out of London to the country, took a part time job as a law lecturer and now combine that with part time aromatherapy and massage!

I still think though that after our five week wedding trip in the summer I will come back and be completely in the pits of despair for months, so really sympathise with you :(

Reliving your experience by writing a long trip report may help though - and I am not just saying that because I am desperate to hear about your travels (although I am!). However, I think it does help to reflect on where you have been in your mad wonderful whirl of a trip - think about what bits you particularly liked and what you can recreate in your everyday life that will mirror that.
BB

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 04:06 PM

Good advice. I do love writing trip reports. I'll get to that as soon as the "just back today" chaos settles down a bit. My job is about to push me over the edge right now. It's amazing how much crap can pile up on a desk in three weeks :(

Kathie May 8th, 2006 04:10 PM

I hope you had a fabulous time! I agree with HT and Bella - write your trip report (really - you'll find yourself right back there as you write for us) and do start thinking about the next trip.

Maudie May 8th, 2006 04:21 PM

Hi,
Welcome back. I know exactly what you are going through, everythings seems so mundane after having time away from your everyday life!

By the way, were you happy with your camera?

Hang in there, you will feel better in a couple of days.

Guenmai May 8th, 2006 04:34 PM

I start planning my next adventure...in my mind...about as soon as the plane hits the runway on my trip home. I tend to daydream a lot...which helps tremendously. And I'm very good at mentally detaching myself from all of the "crap" that you're referring to. So dream, get a good book on where you want to go next, tune out to all of other people's drama....and you'll be just fine. Happy Travels!

CFW May 8th, 2006 05:14 PM

Here's a link to an article in newsweek about "lifestyle sabbaticals." Doesn't seem terribly realistic unless you're young or retired & independently wealthy, but we can dream.... www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12666060/site/newsweek/

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 05:22 PM

Thanks everyone! It sounds like you've all been there and that maybe I'll snap out of it in a few days.

Maudie, we love the new camera (we went with the Panasonic TZ1). It's not too fancy but seems to take good picks and is just the right size. I'll share our pics with everyone after I get them all download and uploaded, etc. I think we took about 1500 or more!!

hi50phd May 8th, 2006 05:28 PM

It's known as West-to-East Ennui.

Symptoms, for those who are susceptible, include: feeling listless, energic, having decreased motivation and irritability. And, paradoxically, having no perceived jet-lag.

Sleep, vigourous exercise, or, in the extreme some good drugs will help.

Please, don't forget to include your thoughts on the Central Krabi Bay Resort.

simpsonc510 May 8th, 2006 05:35 PM

The group of guys who typically go to BKK with son Brad (and who now travel there with or without him) refer to getting on the plane in BKK for the trip back home and feeling like slitting their wrists!! Personally, I've never quite had that reaction, but I am always planning my next trip in my mind, even as the taxi is taking me to the BKK airport for the long flight back to ORD.

JamesA May 8th, 2006 07:40 PM

Oh yes, we have all been there, especialy the "all the petty crap people are concerned with around here seems so meaningless " !

Well done Bella ! You will never regret it !

Yes, plan as soon as you can and we are all waiting for that trip report to come along !

Years ago it was so much easier to move around the world working in different places, sadly now no where as easy. Of course living somewhere is totaly different to visiting, but even still working and probably harder than ever in my life I just love it !

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 09:26 PM

hi50phd, in response to your inquiry about the CKBR, that was possibly my favorite hotel of everywhere we visited. We only had two nights there, but I could have spent a week or more. Any complaints you may have read about construction no longer apply. They are finishing the work on the grounds and "river" that will wind through the resort, but it was never obtrusive in any way; however, they still gave a free cocktail hour each evening and two free massages to make up for it! The room and view are out of this world as is the service. We also paid extra for "the club" and felt it was worth the extra 1500B per day to always have a quick snack available. We never actually had to buy lunch or breakfast!

The only downside is that they aren't running the boat to Ao Nang very often due to the low season. It's like every four hours supposedly, but I would actually see it go more often sometimes with no rhyme or reason. You can also go on their crew boat, which goes hourly, but they don't go out of their way to let you know that and finding it to come back can be tricky since it looks like every other longtail on the beach in Ao Nang. You can also hire a longtail for cheap if needed.

The resort was not very full when we were there, so it was perfect for us. I can imagine that it may be tough to get a chair by the pool once it's starts getting busy. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer!

harsha May 8th, 2006 11:11 PM

Its got to do with the disorientation.Post relaxation you are suddenly faced with reality which takes some time to readjust.Try talk about your trip and the wonderful time with your friends (in other words get them envious of your expierence ).Go thru the pictures you've taken.Put up the souviners at home.Keep in touch with the friend you made on your trip.In no time your post holiday blues are washed away!

LA_FadeAway May 8th, 2006 11:43 PM

Hmmm, right now I'm having trouble even looking at pictures or talking about the trip because I get so depressed that I'm not still there. Not to mention how stressful work was today. It's amazing how much stuff can go wrong when you're not there overseeing things for three weeks. The fallout at work makes it barely worth taking a vacation, knowing I'll have to face all this when I come back. I'd give anything to just be able to find a job that is at least inspiring or interesting to me in some sort of way, so that returning to it wouldn't be such a nightmare every time I get a chance to step away for a little while. Sorry, I'm just venting. Keep up the suggestions everyone. It helps knowing I'm not the only one who goes through this and that it will get better soon... I hope :)

Bella_Bluebell May 9th, 2006 12:46 AM

I was talking to John last night and he pointed out the other thing I always do after one of our trips is to redecorate a room. He took me through the house and pointed out the redecorated rooms and the fact that they were reminiscent in style of the different places we have stayed over the years! Strange - because it wasn't conscious other than the bedroom where I used the colours from a villa we stayed in at the May Ubud.

Like Guenmai - I daydream. Often last thing at night we discuss if we could go anywhere in the world tomorrow where would we go (we don't have to agree either - which is good as John frequently climbs mountains in the Himilayas in his dreams and I would be particularly anti doing that with him). When daily life is being a bit drudge-like, it provides a bit of dream-escape just before going to sleep!

hi50phd May 9th, 2006 02:12 AM

Thanks, LA. We will book it on our next trip.

DeeElle May 9th, 2006 02:39 AM

I had a good giggle when I read your post. It helped alleviate some of my own post-holiday blues following our month in Thailand. Usually I get a bit homesick on the last leg of a trip o/s which makes the return to reality palatable, but this time I didn't want the holiday to end. In fact my husband and I spent several days at the end of our trip trying to find an alternative living in Thailand. Like they need two government workers!!
When we got back I was thrust back into a totally tedious & seemingly meaningless job, freezing weather, and friends who dont want to hear about the holiday coz they feel "jealous".
Best remedy: dream and plan the next holiday. I'm also trying to cut out my "I'm not really interested in that petty crap" statements. I'll let you know if it helps reduce the blues.

I'm with you.
Cheers
Dy

CFW May 9th, 2006 03:00 AM

Wow, Bella, that was quite a life-changing trip! I'm a lawyer and would love to chuck all the pressure & do something more meaningful. LA, sounds like the biggest problem is your job, which is making re-entry much more miserable. In addition to writing a trip report, sound lkike you should really focus on a search for a new job that you'll like better than what you are doing.