Ponheary's guesthouse in Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed here? I believe it's called Marina Villa...no reviews on Trip Advisor. We're lucky enough to have Pon free on the days we're in Siem Reap...just wondering what her guesthouse is like. Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM

nice and clean according to all reports, but on the basic side based as most guest houses are...makes sense to stay there if you are using her for your touring...
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM

We stayed there last Oct for 10 days and we were perfectly happy with it. If you google you will find a web site with some photos. It really depends on what you are looking for I imagine it would not be hotelish enough for some folks. She did tell us that she has had some people have to change to a more upmarket place. It is basic, very clean and you get to meet her whole family which is a total joy. We enjoyed being right there so if we wanted to change plans for the next day we could easily. We had Ponheary guide us for 4 of the days and then we just used her driver for the rest of the time. We had an air con room. There are several restaurants within walking distance. The rate is great. We would definately stay there if we went again. Happy travels J
This site has a couple of photos
http://www.travel-cambodia.com/marin...ouse/index.htm
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Clean. Basic. Good AC. Local flavor. Nice neighborhood. Good local restaurants and stores right on the street. Wat Bo down the street. Internet cafes, laundry. Nice and quiet. Beds comfortable by cambodian standards. Being around the family is a huge plus.

Guesthouses typically don't have pools and that is a big drawback for some people....

I have some photos posted if you want to have a look:
www.pbase.com/loricarlson/marina_villa
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the photos, etc. I'm leaning now toward Bopha Angkor...the pool is just too tempting!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I have to say that I don't often use pools, but in Siem Reap, we swam every day to cool off!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM

we found SR more hot than was bangkok!!

plus you work harder in SR
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Robert...you are bang on! You work HARD in Siem Reap...climbing the temples, etc. I definitely recommend the guide's plans...early AM til noon, lunch, then a couple hours siesta.

I was perfectly satisfied with MV. Would have been nice to have a pool and included breakfast, but the little restaurant 50 yards down the road was very reasonable or breakfast. I also tried the Thai BBQ restaurant across the street and that was quite good also. I got my hair cut and a nice straightblade shave about a block down the street. ($3 plus tip) There must be around a dozen salons within a block or two of the guesthouse.

They have an overnight guard for increased security, BTW. A pool would have been nice, bu other than lack of pool and inhouse dining, I had no problems, especially for $15/night with AC.

Mark-
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM

Bopha Angkor is excellent. I stayed there, and during my 3 weeks in Indo China, it was the bst value and nicest hotel in which I stayed.