Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Pls Advise-what tour co. to China did you travel with or heard good things about?

Pls Advise-what tour co. to China did you travel with or heard good things about?

Dec 11th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Connie

Hello!
I would like to go to China for a 13 night trip during the last 2 weeks in March in 2002. We would like to visit Beijing, Xian and see the Yangtze river. It is our first trip to China.

*** Can someone please reccommend a tour operator they had a good experience with or one they heard good things about?

I am currently looking at Pacific Delight, General Tours and Overseas Adventure Travel but the dates don't match up with my vacation days.

Can you also share with me any tour operator you traveled with and hated?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Dec 13th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Dennis

I went with Pacific Delight on a 3+ week tour(PD). From my research, they are the largest tour operator to China (and a US company). They seemed to offer the most for the money. I was very pleased with my tour. I was on a deluxe tour (the one below the gold deluxe), and we stayed in 5 star hotels that were outstanding. I was very pleased with the tour.

Dec 17th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Judith

Connie, Expceience China is an excellent operator. They are a little smaller, but offer lots of personalized service. I have used them for both individual and group tours
http://www.experiencechina.net/

Judith Berger

Dec 18th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Stuart

We have been on two different tours with Rim-Pac from New York and were very pleased. Their website is www.rim-pac.com or call 1-800-701-8687. Choose one that uses the East King or East Queen boat on the Yangtze as they are the best.

Dec 20th, 2001, 12:13 PM
uu

I will just only say don't .go with Pacific Delight Tours, very dissapointing

Dec 20th, 2001, 12:35 PM
andrew

Connie, Pacific Delight just came out with new programs to the Yangtze River this past weekend ... the borhcure is called China Expereince, and is over 96 pages long and the url is http://www.pacificdelighttours.com/2...ina/index.html ... so there is much to select from regarding itineraries and departure dates.

Dec 28th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Jan

We traveled in China for 18 days with Ritz Tours and they are TERRIFIC. We were there on Sept. 11 and they took exceptional care of us. We visited Shanghai, Xian, Beijing and had a 10-day Yangtze River cruise on Victoria Cruise Line (very comfortable). Every day we had unique and memorable experiences. Our national guide, Kenny, who traveled with us from beginning to end has to be the best in the industry. This tour company exceeded our expectations in every regard---and they are VERY reasonably priced.

Dec 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
denise

Hi,I want to travel in Dalian. Could anyone tell me, how to structure my travel plan, is the place nice? How long should I spend there? Any good hotel recomendation? Many thanks.

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:14 PM
jeri

Thinking of going to China this spring and I'd like to tag some more questions onto this thread.
Are there any tour groups that make all hotel & transportation arrangements and maybe one day touring in each city but then give you some free time on your own? Also, would really like a smaller group, but don't need 5 star accomodations. Any suggestions?

Dec 30th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Connie

Thank you for all of the recommendations. It has been extremely helpful. I'll post my trip when I get back. Thanks Again!
Connie

Dec 31st, 2001, 01:11 AM
lze

Hello Connie, My sister-in-law and I traveled to mainland China, Hong Kong, and Bangkok last May/June. We went with smarTours. Check out their website at www.smarTours.com. We thought their prices were very reasonable. Hotels were all extremely nice. We went to the places you mentioned, and others as well. The Yangtze river cruise was great. Spectacular to view. I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to go and see all I did. The Terra Cotta soilders, and climbing the Great Wall were my favorites. We also took a motorcycle side car tour into the countryside one day and visited a farmer's house. What a meager exixtance they have. It was my most favorite day of all. The guides we had were very good. Excellent in the history of each place. We had one main guide who stayed with us the entire trip and she was quite sharp and had a handle on each of us. There were 43 in our group. Quite large but really nice people. We still keep in contact with some of them. Now if you have ever been on a large cruise ship, don't be disappointed in the Yangtze River ships. They are nothing like the big cruise liners. But you do get to see a great deal and there are some things to do on board the ship besides taking spectacular pictures. The two best things I took along with me were instant hand sanitizer and small packages of Kleenex. You know, the purse size ones. Very necessary. If you would like to know more about our experience, E-mail me direct and I will try to answer what questions you have. It was quite hot and humid when we went. Drink lots of bottled water. We found it for sale all over the place. At each toruist spot they have stands set up. We were gone for 3 weeks and it was a long time to be away from home and without our hubby's. We did E-mail a lot from hotels and also found cyber cafes. They are usually cheaper than the hotel business centers. We liked smarTours and would consider traveling with them again. We both thought they did a good job. Good luck in whatever you choose and have a wonderful time. I know you will. Oh yes, take lots of film. Take care, lze

Dec 31st, 2001, 08:01 AM
travelin4fun

We took the Grand Circle tour. They did a fine job. The hotels and resturants were excellent, much nicer that my wife and I are used to. I thought it was a very good value for the price we paid.

There was another group from Pacific Delight that we met up with frequently. Seemed to be following the same itinerary as we were. They also seemed to be enjoying the trip.

If I had known about the OAT trip before we purchased the Grand Circle (same company) I would have prefered their itinerary. Especially going to Tibet.

Dec 31st, 2001, 10:03 AM
ARTHUR

HI,
Went to China for 12 days with China Focus (chinafocus.com). It was a great tour, excellent tour guides. Price includes everything. I would go again, as a matter of fact I plan to go to Shanghai in the Spring.

Jan 4th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Barry

We took a 15-day tour last summer with China Focus. It was well-planned and executed. All arrangements were very good. Food, hotels, sites covered, transportation, etc. were all fine. Our group and tour guides were superb! The days were long, but China Focus packs a lot into those days. We highly recommend them!