Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about your everest base camp trekking experiences!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am thinking about doing a trek to Mnt Everest Base Camp in January.

I would go with a tour group (currently looking at Peregrine).

Before I get carried away in the idea, I wanted some advice on preparation needed.

I have never actually trekked before (though have camped and hiked) and never been anywhere high altitude. I am fairly well traveled. I realise the trip will be quite a test of endurance, both physically and mentally. And it will be freezing cold!

I am not super fit, but I do regular exercise (exercise about four times a week, mostly cardio work). I am also healthy and young and am willing to do serious aerobic training (would have about 5 months to get in shape).

Is this idea totally silly (i.e. is Everest Base Camp only really done by people who are seasoned and experienced trekkers) or is it do-able with adequate preparation by a novice trekker?

Anyone who has been to Everest Base Camp can you please give me details of your experience.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM

Let me recommend that you take a look at Thorntree - it has lots of posts about the Everest base camp trek.

Altitude sickness may well be the biggest issue, and there is no way to predict who will get altitude sickness (other than whether they've gotten it before). It's not correlated with being in shape, etc.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

1)
Do you live anywhere near a place where you can start doing some hiking now to make sure you're going to like it and to test what kind of hiking shape you are in?

2)
Or better yet find someone seasoned at hiking or a hiking club to get you out and going now? Some YMCAs have programs with names like Outdoor Adventures that doing overnight hikes, etc.

3)
My final question/comment is if you are not an avid hiker at home, why would you take on such a trip?

I'm asking these questions because I live in New England and know all too well what really cold weather feels like - even with good outdoor gear on. Better to test yourself here where you can bail out then to go to the other extreme by going to Mt. Everest.

4)P.S.
You have to hike to get into shape for hiking. My son is an avid hiker and has hiked with guys who are strong athletes in other sports, but their skill didn't transfer to hiking stamina.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM

Agree with the others, also suggest you consult your doctor to get a professional opinion too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. you have certainly given me some food for thought (particularly Jaya).

I want to do it because I have sort of had a fascination with Mnt Everest since I studied Edmund Hillary at school. I have also been doing a bit of research on the internet and it looks like an amazing thing to do. The challenge really appeals to me. Certainly if I decided to go I would do serious training, and this would include some overnight hiking/camping trips.

I mooted the idea with my doctor and she said I am in very good health, though she also said that I would need to go to Kathmandu at least a few days before to acclimatize. Altitude sickness is completely unpredictable and the only cure for it is to come down to a lower altitude.

Surely someone must have been to Everest Base Camp - I want to hear from you!
(I will check out thorntree - thanks Kathie)
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM

Certainly you'll want to spend some time in Kathmandu, but not really to acclimate to altitude. The altitude there isn't all that high (4385 ft). You'll fly from KTM to the town where you start toward EBC, and you'll make a number of stops along the way to acclimate.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM

The general contemporary tunnel vision and media focus on Everest as tho it is THE mountain to see & rub up against. Hardly. You can make the Annapurna trek and really see Nepal & mountains so severe (& beautiful) that they have either never been climbed or most who tried either died or left sections of themselves behind. The route is far more suited to your ability. One day when you are in Kth., you catch a Buddha air jet out to see Everest they fly around it for a reasonable price. Climbing Ev. must be the greatest act of vanity & pointlessness in the history of mankind and going out to EBC is just a little part of that current-chic-vanity. Skip it.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

ttt

kathie - thanks for the tip on thorntree. there is much more about ebc than on fodors. I have posted my question there too.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Glad it was helpful. There is lots more there on EBC and on other treks. I've been monitoring the Nepal board over there as I'm headed to Kathmandu this fall.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

I saw you were heading to Kathmandu Kathie. I am expecting another KATHIE standard trip report!