Appreciate your feedback to my tentative itinerary in Hokkaido this October.
10/8: Fly into MMB airport near Shiretoko National Park at noon. Rent car. Drive to Utoro and stay the night. Where? Is Abashiri worth a stopover? What to see in Oct? Any other worthwhile stops on the way to Utoro?
10/9: Boat trip out of Utoro to see Shiretoko NP. Know of any boats specifically catered to bear and wildlife watching in October? Looks like most boats, esp smaller ones, stop running by end of Sept? Afternoon, drive to waterfall, onsen, lakes. Any safe (no bears) short hikes (1 to 2 hours)? All do-able by ourselves or any ranger-led tours? Heard that we need to go on a guided tour around the lakes (5000Y)?? Is it required? We prefer to DIY but with other folks around to be safer. What else? Overnight in Utoro.
10/10: Drive to Akan National Park. Which lakes are must-sees? Any short hikes? What not to miss? Drive toward Daisetsuzan National Park. Where to stay this night?
10/11: What is a good route to follow in Daisetsuzan? We have a car, so can be flexible. What not to miss? Where to stay?
10/12: More Daisetsuzan.
10/13: More Daisetsuzan or other places?
10/14: Drive to Sapporo by early afternoon. Return Car. Stay at Sheraton Sapporo.
10/15: Sapporo. (DH will fly out on 10/16, but I have a week of biz trip here.)
* Please recommend some mid-range lodging options for the places above. We'll be spending a lot of time outside our room, so anything clean and convenient, private room with double bed (shared bath ok), less than $130 USD per room.
* Onsen / Rotenburo. We'll like to soak in an onsen, and better yet an rotenburo, every day/night! Please recommend any good ones, and they don't have to be at our hotel/ryokan. We'll be interested in those in nature that are scenice, nice, and anyone can access too.
* Anything else that can fit in our route? Any places to eat, see.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 The Best Advice You Could Ever Get About Traditional Wear For Womens
- 2 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 3 4 DAYS in KERALA...
- 4 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 5 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 6 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 7 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 8 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 9 need your help with japan itinerary
- 10 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 11 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 12 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 13 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 14 Skiing in Japan - need advice
- 15 MUMBAI FOR TWO DAYS
- 16 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 17 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 18 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 19 PNG : Plumed, primal, proud...
- 20 Wat Arun
- 21 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 22 Miyajima Island
- 23 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 24 Vientiane to LP December
- 25 Safest beach area for solo female in Sri Lanka