Please post hotel rec's for Chiang Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for something distinctively Thai (not a big high rise or chain). Bungalow style would be fun and I would like some nice gardens.
I am also looking for something that is not too far removed from everything but kind of quiet as well.

On a side note, is it necessary to rent a car in Chiang Mai?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I'm staying at Yaang Come Village. Many here like Baan Orapin (but there is no swimming pool, if that is important to you). Do a search here on those twp places and you'll find dozens of posts.

"is it necessary to rent a car in Chiang Mai?" Rent a car, as in drive yourself? NO. You may want to hire a car and driver from time to time if you are going outside the city. Renting a car would be much more hassle than it is worth.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Definitely stay at Baan Orapin. It meets all of your requirements. It is one of my all time favorite hotels. You can read all kinds of reviews of it by doing a search on this site or on www.tripadvisor.com
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I am another fan of the Baan Orapin and it is just what you have described in your wants. Very lush foliage, nice Lanna style small operation, across the river from the noise but a quick stroll across the footbridge puts you in th heart of the action.

The owners couldn't be nicer and the rooms are beautiful!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM

If you don't mind being perhaps 30 minutes from the center there are lots of bungalow places with natural Thai style but still within easy distance.
Forget about car rental, Chiang mai is a huge city, transport by tuk tuk etc is cheap and easy, you would be at a disadcantage having your own rental ( getting around, parking etc etc ), just use local transport.
if you don't mind being out of the central area let us know.
Also budget ? There are some very cheap budget places right up to more expensive type accommodations so give us an idea what you want to spend.