Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning China Itinerary - Suggestions welcome!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 02:50 AM
gaylejune

I am at the early stages of planning a trip to China for my husband and I next year. We intend to go 4 to 5 weeks (too long?) and hope to avoid organised tours but are hoping to book guide and car for individual day trips along the way. After much reading, my "plan A" is something like this: Fly in to Beijing (5 nights),fly to Xian 2? nights), fly to Wuhan for 4 day(5 nights) Yangtze River Cruise to Chongquing (1 night)then to Chengdu (2nights) fly to Lhsa (3 nights) back to Chengdu (1night)fly to Lijang (2 nights) to Dali (2 nights) to Kumming (2 nights) to Guilin (4 nights)fly to Shanghai(2 nights)ferry to Puto Shan (2nights)(has anybody been here - it was highly recommended?)back to Shanghai to fly to Beijing (1 night) fly out.I am happy for anyone to give me there input as to whether this is ok or terrible! I realise this could be totally unrealistic and I am unsure of where trains would be possible (eg. Lijang, Dali Kumming? area) I would love to hear of any places people feel should not be missed and also whether my timing in regards to nights in each place are impractical. Thanks very much for any help - Gayle

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 03:20 AM
clarence

Hi Gayle <BR> <BR>My name is clarence guo,a taxi driver and tour guide in <BR>xi'an----the home town of terra-cotta figures,i offer a speacial tour to terra-cotta museum,banpo site,and cave dwelling village where you'll find some family still live in the cave houses which built hundreds of years ago,meet local farmers and kids there. this is different from organised tours. <BR> <BR>pls check http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/time/travel/2000/0131/index.html. the story about my tour. <BR>pls visit my web site http://www.taxitour.com <BR> <BR>i have friends(english speaking taxi driver) in beijing,guilin ,chengdu ,kunming and other cities in china,pls feel free to e-mail me if you need help. <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 03:31 AM
Howard

Hello - <BR> <BR>Just a couple of thoughts on your plans. The trip sounds good overall but it sure is alot of moving around -- perhaps you could skip a place. <BR> <BR>More specifically, in regards to Kunming, Dali, Lijiang - there are no trains between them, you could bus it all the way, but they are long trips between Kunming and Dali, and Kunming and Lijiang. Another alternative would be to fly from K to D, bus to L, and fly back to K. Unless you are planning to spend a day at the stone forest, I would say that one day in Kunming is sufficient, and would add a day in Lijiang. The countryside around there is great, and the small town atmosphere is a nice change from all of the big cities you will be in. You can easily rent bikes in Lijiang and Dali, and be out in the fileds in 15 minutes. <BR> <BR>Howard

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 05:05 AM
gayle

Thanks Clarence, I have seen your ads previously and will definetly keep it in mind when the trip is closer. <BR>Howard, thanks for your suggestions. I felt we are moving too much also. We enjoy the countryside and small towns over cities and would much prefer to have the majority of our trip as scenic after "doing the works" in Beijing. Maybe we should miss Kunming and Dali altogether? Is there any other particular spots in the Li Jiang area which would perhaps make it worth a 4 night stop (or a close move for 2 and 2?). Have you been to Xian? Is 2 nights enough? Any other small towns worth replacing any of my existing plan? Thanks for your help - Gayle

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 11:17 PM
gaylejune

Can anyone else offer suggestions please? Thanks for your time - Gayle

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 06:24 AM
Marsha

You should plan on at least two full days in Xian. The terra cotta army is incredible and takes a full day. The next day can be spent in Xian visiting the Great Mosque, Towers, Shaanxi Provincial Museum and wandering the city. The only drawback I found to the city was the pollution.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Sarah

Gayle, <BR>I think two nights in Xian is enough. When I was there, I stayed at the Hyatt and used Clarence as a travel guide. I highly recommend his services. <BR> <BR>If you need additional informaiton, please let me know. <BR>Sarah

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Kay

4 nights in Guilin may be too much unless others can suggest what else you will do besides the Li River trip one and maybe a day in the countryside by car.