Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   phuket-where 2 stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/phuket-where-2-stay-573842/)

jacqui72 Dec 1st, 2005 06:23 AM

phuket-where 2 stay

i am trying to decide on where to book in phuket, and have read all the threads (getting bleary eyed ;). This is what I've whittled it down to..any feedback'd be great. (PS we are a couple looking to relax, have some quiet time, but not be too off the beaten track. We are first time visitors so want a little of everything..our budget: $200-300p/n).

-Mon Tri Boathouse/Villa
-Le Meridian (both...leaning towards yacht club b/c other seems more family orientated?)
-Kata Thani (sounds great but concerned it's not quite luxe enough)
-Sheraton Grande (haven't heard too much on this one)
-JW Marriott (seems isolated and maybe w/our budget we'd end up w/the cheapest room)

Also, are any of these better for access to Phi Phi? Can we do a day trip there or does it have to be overnight?
Thanks so much.

rhkkmk Dec 1st, 2005 06:52 AM

yes marriott is totally issolated...it is fantastic however---a destination in itself....it might fit nicely in your budget...

meredien yacht club is a favorite of gpanda...it is removed a bit also but not issolated...we looked at it from the beach and it looks very nice....

kata thani was my #2 choice...jamesA highly suggests it, btw....lux factor may not be high however...

simpson510 says villa royale is very lux and i have seen her pics of it and it looks nice...

do not know of a sheraton honestly...

JamesA Dec 1st, 2005 06:54 AM

Day trips to Phi Phi take about the same time regardless of where you are, expcept from the south easr cost which would be nearer but not recommended as beaches not good.

Sheraton is up at laguna, this is an area of high end high costs places, far from the more active resorts.

When considoring accommodation like anywhere considor how much time you plane to spend at the resort itself and how much time you might be on day trips, touring, shopping, traveling around the island.

Surprised you don't think the kata Thani would be luxury enough, if you go for the top end rooms I doubt you would not find it good enough.

To put that in perspective we travel around Thailand as a family of 4 and out budget is about USD 40-50 and we never rou8gh it and stay in fine and nice accommodation wherever we go.

You can go for places like the Amanpuri but in all honesty you are paying so much for a 'name'. True Le meridien relax Bay is more famil orientated but if you go to the Meridient Yacht Club ( not a yacht Club at all ) you are out of the way of the better restaurants, evening shopping etc,

Take a suite at the Kata Thani and enjoy!

jacqui72 Dec 1st, 2005 07:56 AM

thanks for the great responses! I checked out some "reviews" on tripadvisor.com, and I have to say Kata Thani's were less than positive. Having said that, the website looks great, and I like the idea of upgrading when staying at a more reasonable hotel.
For Le Meridian YC, how inconvienent is it to restaurants (like Mom Tri)? And for Phi Phi, do you recommend staying there one night. (we will be in phuket for 4). Thanks again!!

Gpanda Dec 1st, 2005 08:11 AM

The RMPYC is about a 15-20 minute ride from Mon Tri's Boathouse. As noted by RhkKmk, we really enjoyed our stay there in early December 2004. If you do stay there, have the hotel book your table at the Boathouse.

PALLI Dec 1st, 2005 08:19 AM

The Boat House [main Hotel] is wonderful.We are going back for our fourh visit in January.For what you want,this is the place to stay