Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Phuket Hotels - no availability for Jan. '08. Can this be right?!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My family and some friends (6 adults total) are planning a trip to Southeast Asia for Dec 2007/Jan 2008. We will end with a week in Thailand and want to spend 3-4 days on the beach in Phuket. The tentative dates for our Phuket stay are Jan. 5-9. I have been searching the internet for hotel accommodations and almost every hotel seems to be sold out! Can this be right? Can all the hotels in Phuket be booked nearly 7 months out?!? I know this is high season but c'mon! I need your help. Does anyone have any advice on accommodations for 6 adults? We would like to stay at one of the beaches on the west side of the island, i.e., Karon, Kata, Patong, in order to be close to the nightlife. We are also willing to rent a villa for a few days if it is not too expensive. Our budget is around $600-$700 for 6 people. Can someone please help??? Thanks in advance!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:54 AM

It's very POSSIBLE- it's the highest of the high season. We just booked our hotel for similar dates (Jan 6-10)and we ended up in Khao Lak. I would try a couple different sites (asiarooms.com, planetholiday.com, or atsiam.com)You might have a chance still.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM

It may also be that the hotels have not released the rooms to the websites. Try contacting the hotels you are interested in directly. As it is the highest season, they may try to get full price for the rooms before relasing them to the booking sites.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:06 AM

Some may be full as package tour operators block hotel rooms, try local http://www.patong-beach-hotels.com and just select a few in your range and then tick the box 'or similar', they check the ones you ask and by checking the 'or similar' box they check out others in your range. Doesn't cost a cent and they don't want credit cards to enquire, goes through Sawadee.
Also try direct to Swiss Palm beach, for family nd friends a good option, short walk to the beach, Rene and his wife run a nice operation there, they are apartment style, small pool, you can walk to nightlife and for your budget might be ok.
http://www.swisspalmbeach.com/
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM
dmlove

Lawgirl, did you have any success? I just tried the same (just the Marriotts) and both Hua Hin and Phuket say they have no availability. Crazy this far in advance. Let me know what you found.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM

CNN is advertising "Indigo Pearl" on Phuket. Guess it's a fairly new place. You might look at that one. It is located near the airport, on the northern end of the island. I have no idea if there are activities near this beach location. It would probably be 20-30 minutes to Patong, Kata, Phuket Town, etc.

I know from experience that Phuket accomodations fill up quickly. Many people book from one year to the next, when they visit during peak season.

Carol
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM

If you are trying to book through a discounter, it's highly likely that there is no availability because prices have not yet been loaded into the system. It's too early yet for that.

If you want to book now, try booking directly. Or wait until about August.

Indigo Pearl is the remake of Pearl Village. They have done a lot of work on the place. It's a modern looking place, with lots of concrete. Pools look nice. Many resort activities.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM

We find that we need to book nearly a year in advance to get exactly what we want.
However here is a link to the Phuket Gazette....the ads down the side are all clickable and maybe you can find something here. Hope you can find what you are looking for

http://www.phuketgazette.net/feedme/default.asp
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM

If you have your heart set on a certain hotel, contact it directly. We found that a lot of hotels hadn't released rooms to the various travel sites yet but they definitely had rooms.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM

It's possible. My sister e-mailed me day before yesterday and said it's best to book a year in advance. I was asking about Phuket for a friend who wants to be there Dec/Jan. I'm a Bangkok person and have a place reserved there for Dec/Jan.

My sister has 5-star international time shares...not hotels... however, but she ran Phuket through the system and there was nothing available, for Dec/Jan from either of her timeshare companies. She did however find an available week in August for the Marriott Resort Phuket timeshare and said that I could have that, but I'll probably just stay in Bangkok. Happy Travels!

So I wouldn't be surprised if hotels are the same especially with so many travel agencies that have blocks of rooms for all of the package tour tourists. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM

As Kim says Indigo pearl at Nai yang used to be the pearl Village, they have remodelled, quiet location up the airport way.
Phuketgazette I agree is a great source for information.
The problem you may have is that a large number of inclusive package tours are block-booking hotels, this last season was a surge in charter flights from Europe and Australia, a huge increasse of charter flights from Russia, one package charter with 300 people means 150 rooms, but you should still be ok but it depends on whether you are after 1 specific hotel or not.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:00 AM

lawgirl
First, do you have any idea of what hotels you might want? If not, let me toss out three names. These are places I've stayed, and have enjoyed them very much!

Mom Tri's Villa Royale... Not directly on the beach, but an easy stairway down to Kata Noi Beach. A small "hotel" with villas and also a newer section with nice Thai style rooms. This is the place where I personally experienced the villa that I wanted being booked one year ahead.

Mom Tri's Boathouse... located directly on Kata Beach. Not fancy, but confortable. One of the best restaurants on Phuket is located here. The Boathouse Grill is excellent. (The villa property mentioned in previous paragraph has another excellent restaurant called Mom Tri's Kitchen)

Kata Thani resort... located directly on Kata Noi Beach. This resort is large. Rooms are Thai style. Many pools, restaurants... you would not have to leave the resort if you choose not to. Kata Noi beach is smaller and not quite so busy as Kata.

I would not recommend Patong as it is too crazy with touts and tourists! But, I had a fantastic parasail ride on Patong Beach...

Carol