Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Photos from India! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/photos-from-india-1040427/)

progol Mar 17th, 2015 02:43 AM

Photos from India!

After 2 years, I've finally begun to figure out how to upload and share photos, thanks to seeing rje's beautiful photos posted. I'm still learning, so I hope this works.

Here's a selection from our 3-week India trip from January-February 2013. I haven't yet titled them, but feel free to ask. I'll post the trip report so that should help.

India 2013
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8JVmNd

Trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...p-to-india.cfm

Hope you enjoy!
Paule

rje Mar 17th, 2015 09:29 AM

I really enjoyed your beautiful photos, Paule! What an amazing trip you had!

And what a great trip report, too. Chock-full of atmosphere and vivid imagery and useful information - a great combination.

I was able to recognize many of the locations in your photographs, although some do still remain a mystery. If titling them or tagging them becomes too daunting, you could also just create albums of different locations. It is easy to do once you know how. If you decide to do this, but have any trouble with the mechanics, I'd be happy to walk you through the process. (hint, first step is going to "You" at the upper left of your Flickr homepage, and then selecting "organize" from the drop-down menu.

sartoric Mar 17th, 2015 11:46 PM

Fantastic photos, thanks for rekindling some memories.

Your people shots are great, I particularly like the village scenes.

progol Mar 18th, 2015 02:12 AM

Thanks rje and caroline!

rje-- I'm still learning Flickr and when I have a question, I will definitely ask you! I've got limited time to work on this project, but will eventually label the shots. I'm also working on my SE Asia pictures, which have taken me forever to sort out.

caroline - I've always been a "people" photographer and it's what I love to take pictures of. Even I realize that there's only so many "kid pix" to take!

In the past, we used to travel with serious cameras -- now we travel with 2 pocket cameras. It makes it much easier to have the camera ready, though I do think the quality is sacrificed some. But mostly, they are on the Flickr or Facebook these days, so convenience wins out (and no bad backs!).

Paule

live42day Apr 23rd, 2015 01:00 PM

beautiful pictures. We went to a lot of the same places and it brought back many wonderful memories of India. I want to return!!! Thank you

progol Apr 23rd, 2015 03:00 PM

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them! I love looking at them, too--sometimes, I can't believe we actually went there! We want to return, too - next time, south India.

Paule

CaliNurse Apr 23rd, 2015 05:32 PM

Wonderful memories and evocative photos, Paule!!! (Better late than never--I STILL haven't figured out the sharing stuff!) So glad you saw Abanheri too--many miss it!
Still plan to meet you in NYC some day to hear about Laos.
I just returned from second trip to South India. This time, Kerala's north coast, then Wayanad, then Nagarhole and Coorg. Stayed in great homestays and (for a change of pace) an amazing Taj Hotel in Madikeri, on another trip planned with the excellent assistance of Tim at Indianpanorama. When you're ready to go, I'll share much more!!

ileen Apr 23rd, 2015 06:57 PM

Lovely photographs.
Loved the way you have interacted with the locals in small towns and villages.

The making of the head scarf and the shaping of the mustache brought some memories and a huge smile.

I bet you have tons of stories to share.

Did you both do some good shopping?

progol Apr 24th, 2015 01:43 AM

Many thanks for the kind words, CaliNurse and ileen! India is a photographer's paradise, and I had to contain myself at times. It's incredibly visual.

CaliNurse, I do look forward to meeting you in NYC sometime! That would be wonderful. Someday, my husband and I will go back to India, and the next time will be the south (in 2 years, most likely). I will be asking you many questions when I begin to plan that trip! And, we loved Abhaneri-- what a magnificent structure! It really left a strong impression and was one of the small highlights of the trip.

ileen, it sounds like you have some good stories, too, especially if the mustache and the head scarf reminded you of them! And yes, we did some very good shopping! We bought one of the smaller rugs at the Bishnoi village, many scarves (my addiction to scarves began on this trip!), and some other lovely items.

tripplanner001 Apr 24th, 2015 04:12 AM

Paule, your photos are gorgeous. Especially loved how you captured daily life. What building does the doorway with the peacocks belong to?

progol Apr 24th, 2015 02:48 PM

Thanks, TP! I'm so glad you enjoy them! I really do have to find time to ID the pix -- one day!

The peacocks are in an archway of a small gate leading into one of the main courtyards at the City Palace in Jaipur. It's a stunning structure, with amazing detail and is still the residence of the Maharaja of Jaipur!

There is so much to see in India, it's almost an embarrassment of riches, visually speaking.

tripplanner001 Apr 24th, 2015 04:09 PM

Thanks Paule. India is on our list...someday!

progol Apr 25th, 2015 02:06 AM

TP,
I hope that I've inspired you to visit India at least a little, as your trip reports have inspired me! I'm planning next year's trip to Indonesia, and Sri Lanka is definitely high on my list.

Paule

tripplanner001 Apr 25th, 2015 03:43 AM

Paule, indeed, you have.

dgunbug Apr 25th, 2015 06:13 PM

Lovely pictures...brings back great memories.

Caligirl - no trip report on southern India? We will start working on our plans for a November trip after returning from a European vacation in June/July. Would love to hear about your experiences.

progol Apr 26th, 2015 02:00 AM

Thanks, dgunbug - glad you enjoyed them.

tripplanner - I'm pleased to be able to be a small part of the decision to add India to the travel list!

Paule

tripplanner001 Apr 26th, 2015 04:16 AM

Paule, India is on my top five list for the next few years and you'vd given me some good ideas. We're looking at going back to Japan and Australia in 2016. Perhaps in 2017 or 2018.

crosscheck Apr 26th, 2015 09:02 AM

Awesome photos. We covered much of the same territory. I guess I should organize mine from 2012. :) Enjoy Spain.

progol Apr 26th, 2015 11:44 AM

Thanks, CC, for both sentiments. I'm glad you liked the photos and I am really looking forward to our trip to Spain. Leaving in one week!