Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to Stay/What to do in Tokyo...maybe Kyoto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have just booked plane tickets to Japan in April 2010. It's a bit far out, but we're using frequent flyer miles, so it was necessary. We'll be staying for six nights. First, can anyone recommend good accomodations in Tokyo? We've stayed in apartments in Eastern Europe and really liked them....is this a possibility there? We're looking for good value for the money.
Second, would you recommend staying in Tokyo the entire time, or would we be able to do two nights in Kyoto (taking the bullet train) and be able to see enough to make it worthwhile?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM

Are your airline tickets in and out of Tokyo(NRT)?

If you want to see a little of Tokyo and Kyoto I would recommend trying to re book your airline tickets so you can fly into NRT(Tokyo) and out of KIOsaka Kansai) or vice versa to save some time. If you can do it then three nights in each place would be a nice introduction to Japan.

Aloha!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM

should have read KIX Osaka Kansai, I guess the X and parenthesis together creates that face,lol
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately we are using AA for our flights. We are flying into and out of NRT. I don't think they fly into KIX. Maybe going to Kyoto is too much for our short time. Instead, maybe we should do some day trips from Tokyo?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM

AA doesn't fly to KIX, JAL does, and is a partner airline to AA. Not sure how availabilty will be like with JL, but you can check if you are interested.

If you choose to keep this trip as a Tokyo only trip, there's plenty to do in six days. Here are some suggestions for day trips:- Hakone/Mt Fuji, Kamakura, Nikko and Mitake.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM

During our trip to Tokyo, we used TOKYO FREE GUIDE. After registering by email and notifying them of the date we wanted their services and the name of our hotel, the prospective guide emailed us well in advance of the trip to discuss our thoughts about an itinerary. We had a wonderful day with Kyoko visiting many parts of Tokyo and learning how to manipulate the metro. Tourists who avail themselves of this delight pay only for the guide's lunch and metro fees (usually they have a frequent users pass). Their URL is: /www.tokyofreeguide.com/photos/
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Try looking here for the apartments in Tokyo

http://www.tokyoapartments.jp/buildingsummary.html

smaller rooms;

http://www.wmt.co.jp/en/

Aloha!