PHOTOS AND TRAVEL TIPS FOR INDIA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want travel tips, see photos, or just getting ideas of where to travel in India, have a look at www.jeremierita.canalblog.com

I am updating it on a daily basis so that there shall be something new everyday.

If you have any questions on India, and Rajasthan in particular, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I'm going to be doing the golden triangle tour for the first time. I am prearranging hotels but I saw your comment on Nero's. Since this is my first time, what are your recommendations regarding where to eat. Also, why did you wait to book your hotel until you were already there?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Beautiful photos! Thanks, for sharing.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

I am not used to travel to touristy places, so I never book ahead my hotels. In Rajhasthan, it is indeed best to book at least 3 days in advance to be sure.
Surprinsingly, there's not a lot of good restaurants in Jaipur. I'd recommend to eat in good hotels, like at Samode Haveli.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM

fantastic pics...can't wait for my arrival on nov 7..anxious to see more

bob
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM

ttt
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:35 AM

Another thank you. I am going on Nov. 9th and as it's getting closer I am getting more and more immersed in photos. Really enjoyed yours.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:11 PM

rhkkmk, curious to know who you picked to arrange your travel in India? I'm going later in Nov but still haven't confirmed any of my domestic booking yet.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:24 AM

We are using Castle and King in Deli.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM

kmkrnn, which particular agent ar you using with castle and king? They just quoted me a one-day car rental using the Ambassador to go from Jaipur to Agra is $199 USD! This is ridiculous. Is it because it's one-way?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

This price is indeed ridiculous. You should not pay more than 50 usd for this. You can contact the agency I've recommended to use (contact on my blog).
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Thanks, Jeremie, for the response. I was about to contact you after reading your trip blog. How was the Ambassador? Was it comfortable? You mentioned the driver was not perfect? Anything major there? Could you tell him to go wherever you want? Hope he didn't force you to go to shops, etc.?

I'll contact your agent. Is he based out of Delhi? My Golden Triangle trip starts in Jaipur though. I'll go from Jaipur to Agra to Delhi--one way.

Thanks for the good info on your blog!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

I wouldn't say the main feature of the Ambassador is its confort. It definitely is not as confortable as western cars. But I found it okay.
Yes my driver was not perfect. But not bad. The only thing is that he often insisted we stay in hotels where he had free accomodation. Apart from that he was good. Anyway, the agency has loads of different drivers, just explain what you want (cf advices on the blog) and it will be okay. This agency has good prices and usually offers good services.
This agency is indeed based in Dehli, but can pck you wherever you want. You get also free pick up from airport.
Tell me if you need more.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Jeremie, I contacted Bobby and responded promptly with a more reasonable quote. Thanks for the recco!

Did you hire a tour guide at all? He said the driver should be able to find us a tour guide, but I'm afraid that tour guide might be incompetent or just a disguised tout to take you shopping, etc.

Also, he said we don't need AC in the car in Nov. This is for the Golden Triangle around mid Nov to end of Nov.
He only quotes me non-AC cars. But should we take the AC car instead? Anyone been there at about the same time? Or it's better to turn on the AC so you don't take in fresh air which could be dusty?

Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM

No need for AC car in November. Best also to get a Government-approved guide. Contact the tourist office.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:18 AM

hi ALL.
I will like to suggest people that who are planning to go to India that when you wish to shop dont accompany with your tour guide or your car or taxi driver. As in India in all the cities like jaipur, jodhpur, udaipur, Agra, jaiselmer even in Delhi all shops pay 40% commission from the total purchase amount of tourist. That much of big amount go to these tour guides or drivers.
And if you go alone in any shop than you will be able to get better price , you will be able to bargain hard as they will not have to pay any share to guides and drivers.
this is the biggest menace in Indian tourism. I myself has suffered a huge loss while shopping in jaipur and jodhpur.
take care of your wallets.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Wow, Jeremie. Thanks for the info and blog link. Found some great info for my trip to India in January. Love your tips about hiring a driver. I hadn't considered this before. I do want to have some experiences on the trains but a driver will be great for some of the journey.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

I think that at this time of the year, you should be ok with a car without AC. I would not recommend you take a guide for all your trip. Best to buy a guidebook, choose the sites you want to visit (you can pick ideas on my blog if you wish). At the entrance of everysite, you'll find guides. Some are genuine, some aren't. Some are good, some are terrible. Check first their english. If you don't understand, or if what they say is not interesting, just don't take them. At some locations, you can negotiate the price.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:20 PM

what a great blog....i read it backwards
for 4 pages before i realized it.....
jeremie...what books did you read to prepare???
how did you chose your hotels???
did you encounter any food problems???

if you had 3 weeks, which cities, areas would you recommend for culture, beauty and people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -