Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Dunhuang besides Peter N_H?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of what to add to the end of my trip and considering Dunhuang. Has anyoneone been there? Early November timeframe of travel, after Xi'an is what I am thinking.

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there in 2001 - see http://wilhelmswords.com/asia2001/index.html - Westward Ho! Rather a long way to go just for Dunhuang (I was heading overland for Kashgar) - or can you fly now? The caves are very definitely worth seeing, the "singing sands" rather less so.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

There are flights now, but from your description from your lovely trip report, it might not be worth the schlep for just the caves. I'm trying to add a last destination to our trip of Beijing and Xi'an, and so far considered Datong (too awkward to get to easily), Pingyao (seems like a one day site), and a National park (Jiuzhai Valley, noone on this board has been there apparently, and it might be snowy in Nov) . Guess I am just getting frustrated, not knowing what to add. Thanks for your feedback.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you liked my TR. I also went to Datong (see the RTW2004 - China on Holiday piece). I didn't find it too difficult - I got off the Trans-Mongolian train, spent a couple of nights, and took another train on to Beijing (afternoon train, as best I remember). I do think the caves at Dunhuang are better than the ones st Datong, though.

How many days do you have? November might be a bit chilly - how about heading south? Kunming? Hainan?
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I have 3 days, and will look into your suggestions. Thanks! Off to the guide books...
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM

I've been there. I mostly lurk here on Fodors, but thought I would chime in. I was there in 2005. It was my first trip to Asia with my then boyfriend, now husband who had been all over Asia. We went to Hong Kong and Beijing and then wanted some place he hadn't been and Dunhuang ended up being our pick.

We both really liked it. We enjoyed scrambling along the sand dunes, the caves were really amazing, and then one day we rented bikes and rode around the countryside. It made for a nice contrast from the big cities. We flew to and from Dunhuang from Beijing so it was a pretty easy trip. I know you can also fly there from Xian.

Just my 2 cents.