Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Phi-Phi to Krabi to Koh Samui - how? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/phi-phi-to-krabi-to-koh-samui-how-184552/)

Sue Sep 2nd, 2001 11:45 PM

Phi-Phi to Krabi to Koh Samui - how?

We are normally package travellers, but for a bit of a change, I think a bit of "do it yourselfing" might be a worthwhile experience. <BR> <BR>BUT:- How do we find out how to get from Krabi to Koh Samui (as safely & reasonably confortably as possible)? We will be arriving from Phi Phi Islands & intend staying around Krabi for a couple of days. Are there travel type shops with transport information etc for the likes of us? And how long is the journey likely to take. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any info. <BR> <BR>Sue <BR> <BR>PS: We will be travelling with our two kids (6 & 4)

Sarah Rey Sep 3rd, 2001 10:55 AM

Hi Sue, <BR>You have 3 options:- <BR>a&gt; Bus/Ferry. Will take you best part of the day, would not recommend and the kids will probably find it quite stressfull ( you too!) <BR>b&gt; Car+Driver. This could be your best bet to get a driver to take you as far as Don Suk(ferry point) you can then join ferry as 'foot passengers' and then pick-up a tuk-tuk/taxi on arrival on Samui. Can only give a very 'wild' guess at cost but I should think around B 3,000 would be normal, divide by 4 and that's 750 each. I'd go for this option as reasonable in price also comfort. Never be afraid to stress to driver 'nothing over 120 kph please!' <BR>c&gt; Mini-bus service to Phuket Airport, about 1hr 45 minutes then take a flight ( 40-50 minutes ). You would only save perhaps 1 - 2 hrs in total journey and would be expensive. <BR>The bus is cheap, but make sure you are prepared for the fast driving and hair-raising overtaking. <BR>Hope this helps <BR>Sarah

Sue Sep 3rd, 2001 04:24 PM

Thanks for your advice Sarah - I have taken notes. <BR> <BR>I think the driver/ferry option is the best idea. Can you tell me if we will need to bargain for the fare or make arrangements via our hotel? <BR> <BR>What about hiring a car oneway? Do you know if this is possible? <BR> <BR>Any recommendations for accommodation - not the Rayavadee but something really nice in a good location? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Sue

sarah Sep 4th, 2001 10:09 AM

Don't hire a car. One thing is that you may have 'drop-off' problems and I would not recommend except for the hardiest of drivers! On the bargaining side, considor that if you arrange through the hotel will may pay a little more but hopefully have a reliable driver. B 3,000 is about US$67. For 4 people this is quite a reasonable deal, you may get for 2,500. I am judging based on time/distance and costs elsewhere. Just ask the hotel people, if price seems high you can ask at local tour desks/offices.

sue Sep 4th, 2001 05:00 PM

Thanks again Sarah. Most appreciated. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR> <BR>Sue

john Sep 6th, 2001 08:33 AM

To get from Krabi to Koh Samui, there are two quick ways <BR> <BR>1. Bangkok Airways flight Krabi to KS <BR>2. Drive to Phuket and take Bangkok Airways flight (takes longer, but you could stop at JAmes Bond island etc on the way) <BR>