Phi Phi Island Village Resort & Spa or Holiday Inn Resort - Phi Phi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which hotel would you choose on Phi Phi Island? They are both fully operational and have no damage. We are getting a great rate at the Holiday Inn resort (which is more expensive between the two)...but we are more interested in the quality and experience...than the price.

Any good advice?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:58 AM

I stayed in the Phi Phi Island Village Resort last May. But have to say that on the whole we were not that keen. It's very isolated, so we didn't see anything else of the rest of the island.

The bungalow's were great, really beautiful and the pool area was lovely, but we didn't like the restaurant at all. It was all outdoors and kind of spread out. We felt that it really lacked any atmosphere, even though the setting was nice. We had a cat walking around the restaurant all the time. I hate cats, so was uncomfortable with that. There was also a band playing that were truly awful. We could see alot of other people around smiling, because that was all you could do - they were that bad.

But having said that, the food was good. We couldn't complain about that. If I had to go again, I am sure that I wouldn't stay there again. But we loved the people. So friendly and nice.

A word of warning - I got the worst sun burning of my life when I was there. I had no idea that even if you were sitting completely in the shade you can still get burned from the reflection in the water!! Didn't have a clue and sat for ages in the pool at the bar. Wow, not a good idea. So be careful!

Laura
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Laura! When we were in Kauai a few years back I feel asleep in the sun and got FRIED!!! I was so uncomfortable...not to mention that I was preganant and swollen on top of the burn!
I will make sure to bring good sunscreen.

What were some of the places you wanted to go to and wern't able to see? Was there any type of transportation near the hotel?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Hi Travelmom,

It's not so much that there were places we wanted to go. In fact we were tired from a lot of travelling and were very happy to sit by the pool. But after the Tsunami hit and I saw the villages on Phi Phi I realized that there were whole areas that we hadn't seen. Now when I think about it I am sure we would have left the hotel to have a wander around in the evening. We did find the hotel very lacking in something to do in the evening bar dinner. It was myself and my sister travelling, so romantic stolls on the beach we not an option!

Having said all that. Our arrival at the hotel was wonderful. You stay on the ferry after everyone else is dropped off and they stop the ferry a while later and they come and pick you up by boat and bring you to the hotel. Fantastic!

But both my sister and I agreed that though it had been recommended to us, we wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Happy travels, Laura
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like my husband and I will be staying at the Holiday Inn. They are having a great deal currently.