Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Phi Phi Island- Anywhere reasonably priced and NICE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/phi-phi-island-anywhere-reasonably-priced-and-nice-796668/)

laurenanne Jul 20th, 2009 08:37 PM

Phi Phi Island- Anywhere reasonably priced and NICE?

Zeavolo is too expensive, Holiday inn is booked from 12/25-12/28. We were considering going over for these few nights during our honeymoon to check out the island. The first 3 nights are at the sheraton in Krabi using starwood points, then thought to do 3 nights in Phi Phi before heading on to Bali. I have a honeymoon thread posted on here as well.

I have gotten some responses back of availability at:
Andaman Legacy
Palm Tree
Phi Phi Villa Resort
Phi Phi Island Village Resort and Spa (but they claim they only have rooms for $555/night available, WAY over our budget for a few nights here.)
Phi Phi Relax Beach Resort

The issue is that if you read the reviews on trip advisor, everybody says that these places are overpriced dumps. The only place with good feedback (which is only from 5 people and they seem to be rather youngish), is the Palm Tree. There is a rate there for $123/night, and the hotel seems central and close to beaches. We originally were thinking to be on the beach, but it seems it is too expensive or too cheap. Is there anything nice in between? Or should we consider trying Railay beach and skipping Phi Phi? We need to stay in the Krabi area to catch a flight, and don't want to stay at the Sheraton all six nights, and don't want to spend more than $200/night for the other 3.
Thanks!
Lauren

laurenanne Jul 20th, 2009 09:05 PM

Just to add- Came across the Paradise Pearl on Long Beach. Any first hand knowledge of that v. the Palm Tree?

shanek Jul 20th, 2009 09:05 PM

It will be very difficult getting anything close to perfect on Phi-phi at that time of year so you will need to compromise on either the quality of the accomadation or the location. You will have to decide which one is more important.

If it was me, I would consider the location to be the most important thing as I can put up with inadequacies in my accomodation if I am on a great beach and have a brilliant view. With that it mind, I suggest that you look at THE BEACH RESORT on Long Beach. It will get mixed reviews but it gives you quick and easy access to Tonsai Village and the infrastructure that it supports without having to stay there.

Long Beach is a beautiful, reasonably quiet location with the most spectacular views on the Island. At The Beach Resort, you will find that their best rooms will be within your budget even at this peak time of the year.

laurenanne Jul 20th, 2009 09:16 PM

Thank you. I did email the Beach Resort, but have not received a response yet about availability. Also, the Paradise Pearl does have beach front bungalows for $110/night and a few travelers posted their pics on tripadvisor and it looks decent.

MichaelBKK Jul 20th, 2009 09:20 PM

I rather like the Railay option, and it's so much closer. The Sunrise Tropicana is (or was) a steal.

shanek Jul 20th, 2009 09:52 PM

Travelfish give the Paradise Pearl a good rap. I generally find their reviews on budget accomadation to be reasonably accurate.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodat...i_phi/all/1053

Do realise that this is "flash-packer" style accomodation though so dont set your hopes too high. Just focus on the beautiful location.

The thing that I like about The Beach is that the new bungalows are set up the hillside so you get a really fantastic view.

We stayed at the Bayview Resort last year and even though I wouldn't recommend it as the beach at the front of the Resort was not even close to being as nice as Long Beach, I will long remember the great views that we had from our balcony. It was great to start and end the day staring out over the trees across the bay to Phi-Phi Ley.

LeighTravelClub Jul 20th, 2009 09:58 PM

Palm Tree is a new development located in the heart of Tonsai Village.
Paradise Pearl is is a little beauty located at Long Beach....a great location.
Don't know how you have made your booking applications for Holiday Inn, but you might like to try the following e-mail address, which is direct with the hotel.

[email protected]

laurenanne Jul 21st, 2009 06:58 AM

Thanks all! It is tough to decide since some places make you pay non-refundable deposits, so I can't book and change my mind a month from now without paying some or all penalties. Will email the holiday inn Leigh, thank you. It was their website that said they didn't have rooms.

laurenanne Jul 21st, 2009 07:47 PM

Leigh, We are leaning towards a "beach front" bungalow at the paradise pearl. The price is around $109/night. I understand it will be relatively basic, but do you know HOW basic we are talking? we are acknowledging that we are just getting a hut to be on the beach for a few days, the real attraction, but I would like to hear a first hand impression, if possible! thanks!
Lauren

shanek Jul 21st, 2009 08:23 PM

Read this blog site for some first hand reports on some of the mid priced accomodation on Phi-phi including the Paradise Pearl.
http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2...o-phi-phi.html

Ramsan Jul 31st, 2009 02:33 AM

Hi,

I don´t know if you booked anything in Krabi/Phi Phi yet. But I just wanted to give you our greatest tips in the area. When we visit Thailand every year and everytime we go back spending a few days at Railay Beach in Krabi. It is close to Ao Nang and you just get a flight to Krabi town and then a cab to the harbor and then a longtail out to Railay Beach.
The boatride takes about 15 minutes and the landscape is extraordinary. Railay Beach is secluded because the mountains make it impossible to drive by car there, but there are still lot´s of things to do. Stores and nice restaurants and bars.

The west side is the nicest to live with a gorgeous white beach were people hang out watching the sunset sipping a drink or playing beachwolley.
The east side is where all the nice bars and good restaurants is.
And last but the best on Railay to the south is one of the most beautiful beaches ever seen. Phranang beach. With limestonecliffs all the way down to the azurblue sea. And sand so soft it´s hard to walk in ;-)

A perfect place to snooze away a few days in the sun and sipp away a few drinks in the bars at night.

At Phranag there is really friendly monkeys coming down for a snack at early morning and afternoon, amazing to feed them and see the monkeymum´s take care of theire small ones. And if you like climbing this is the spot to be or to learn how to do it.
There are also some small caves both up in the jungle and at the beach to excavate during your stay.

We stayed at Railay a week this cristmas and then celebrated newyears at Phi Phi. You can get the boat to Phi Phi right from Railay West at breakfasttime everyday.
I just have to say that Phi Phi can be a bit overpopulated during New Years a bit like the Full Moon Party at Koh Phagnan, people partying untill late morning on New Years day so be prepaired for the noise if you want to sleep.

My recomandations for Phi Phi is to live at Long Beach and take a 5 min ride with the longtail to the town they ride all night long. And the beach and swimming and snorkeling is much better at long beach.
If you stay there make sure to walk over the hill inland there is som small roads and then find the bech Loo Moo Dee on the other side. It is about a 10 min walk. That beach is all deserted......

Well that was my tips for you!

I wish you a great Honeymoon....