PeterN_H Beijing FC Question For You

Aug 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

PeterN_H Beijing FC Question For You

Hi Peter,

I've read a lot of your posts and trip report and really appreciate your input. We'll be in Beijing for a week in early September and want to ask your advice. During our first full day there we'll be going to the Forbidden City. We plan on taking your advice and will enter from the North and turn East etc. Here's my question. After a few hours in the FC I'm sure we'll be hungry. I'd really like your opinion on a restaurant that's very close to the FC, preferrably for Dim Sum. Also, is it possible to re-enter the FC after leaving?

Thanks Peter,
Chris.
Aug 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM

There are food outlets within the FC, so there's no particular need. A range of sandwiches is available in a few locations, and there's a reasonably priced (meaning 'not more expensive than you'd expect in such a place and still very cheap by foreign standards') Korean restaurant with quickly provided one-plate meals you can eat in the courtyard.

'Dim sum' is southern Chinese food of course, and while available in Beijing at Cantonese restaurants (and often quite good) isn't available in the average restaurant.

You may re-enter the FC after leaving, but only by buying another ticket.

Peter N-H
Aug 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter, I'm really happy to hear that's there are places to get a bite within the FC. I really want to spend as much time as possible in the FC.

Thanks,
Chris
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:19 AM

A passing remark by Carabella under another thread reminds me to suggest that you take your own picnic with you. There are lots of cake and sandwich shop chains around including branches of Holiland (好利来) not far from the Peninsula. If the concierge doesn't know exactly where there nearest is (no more than a block away, I think, but I can't remember exactly where) get him to call 5143 7008 to find out.

Then, whenever you're ready, you can sit and have lunch without waiting, and you can do so in any quiet side courtyard which appeals. There are plenty of kiosks selling soft drinks, and something called China Tea--a wholly Forbidden City-owned operation which opened immediately after a branch of Starbucks was forced out from the same location, and which sells mostly coffee. It's near the entrance to the Clock and Watch Exhibition, which you shouldn't miss.

The Peninsula will also, of course, make you up a picnic basket, and a very good one although for dramatically more than shopping for snacks at Holiland or another bakery.

Peter N-H
Aug 17th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Peter,

Very interesting suggestions, a little picnic style lunch might be just the thing.
Thanks,
Chris