Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/peninsula-or-mandarin-oriental-83146/)

bill Aug 16th, 2000 05:48 PM

Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental?

Which of the above hotels is the best? Thanks.

Michael Aug 16th, 2000 08:10 PM

Mandarin Oriental.

Dawn Aug 17th, 2000 05:15 AM

Dear Bill, <BR> <BR>We had the pleasure of staying at he Peninsula Hotel In Hong Kong last October - it was one of the best Hotels we have ever experienced - I would suggest staying in the Tower Section - new addition to the Hotel - the service, food(many different restaurants), rooms all incredible - it is very easy to take the star ferry across to The Mandarin - we had a wonderful dinner there - very beautiful hotel also - but the Peninsula was wonderful - it had a wonderful indoor pool with spa - with views that take your breath away. <BR>Enjoy your trip - you can not go wrong with either hotel!!!

Lincoln Aug 21st, 2000 12:22 AM

Both hotels are ranked among the best in the world. Peninsula is more grand and has a colonial-style. Mandarin is more modern.... less uptight than Peninsula(no shorts in the lobby). Which one is better? Depending whether you want to be in Kowloon or Hong Kong side of the Harbor.

Ben Aug 21st, 2000 10:28 AM

I stayed at the Peninsula in Bangkok in March and it was clearly the finest hotel I've ever stayed in. Just beautiful inside and out, with service to match.

Meg Aug 21st, 2000 08:00 PM

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental last May and loved it. We have never stayed at the Peninsula in HK but stayed at The Palace in Beijing which is run by the same group. We liked the Palace but not as much as the Oriental.

bill Aug 22nd, 2000 01:37 PM

Many thanks for your replies. Lincoln, (and anyone else who has visited Hong Kong)as far as location is concerned, which would you most recommend; Hong Kong Island(Mandarin) or Kowloon(Pen). I suppose both have their pros and cons? Thanks once again.

Meg Aug 25th, 2000 02:40 PM

Bill, I don't think it's a question anyone else can answer for you. Some people insist on Kowloon - others are island people. I have only stayed on the island but do intend to try Kowloon next time. The Star Ferry makes the trip between the two only a few minutes. Please let us know what you decide.

Richard Sep 1st, 2000 10:00 PM

It really doesn't make much difference in terms of convenience, and whilst sitting on the Star Ferry staring agog across either side you really won't care too much.

ken Sep 28th, 2000 07:45 AM

I travel to HK once a month on business and for me, the only place to stay is the Ritz Carlton. It is practically next to the Madarin but it seems so much more serene and relaxing than the Mandarin. There are only 12 rooms per floor and the lobby is more like someone's (very nice) home than a hotel. It makes a world of difference to me to be able to come back to a quiet, relazing atmosphere after a day of sensory overload. (You'll find out what I mean!) The Mandarin's lobby just seems so busy so the only way to finally relax is in your room. <BR> <BR>I have not stayed at the Pen but it is absolutely beautiful and elegant. However, I do not like the Kowloon side since it is so touristy. I saw once local guide that referred to it as the tourist ghetto. Also, all cruise ships dock nearby on a daily basis. It is even worse right now since they are doing all kinds of construction in the area - even the local papers are critical. There was an article one day last week about traffic being snarled for over an hour just to get out of some of the hotels. I would be very careful with choosing Kowloon right now.

SANDRA Oct 3rd, 2000 02:56 PM

Bill, I have not yet been to the Mandarin but I love the Peninsula, the service, the pool, the food, and the 37th floor bar Feli, designed by Stark. Even if you choose the Mandarin Felix is worth the visit.

Jim Oct 9th, 2000 12:55 AM

Ken is right, the Ritz Carlton would be my choice!

mark Oct 10th, 2000 09:43 PM

I just got back from Hong Kong and would like to make another suggestion; the Regent Hotel. It is a Four Seasons hotel and is located right on the Harbor with magnificent views. The service and food are fantastic.

David Oct 10th, 2000 10:43 PM

Hmm... this seems to have generated a lot of response. But it seems to me that the answer to your question really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for atmosphere, I'd go for the Pen. On the other hand, you're planning on spending most of your time on HK island, you might want to think about the Mandarin. <BR> <BR>Bottom line, both the Pen and the Mandarin are great hotels... My personal favorite is the Peninsula.