Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Peninsula ignored by Frommers (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/peninsula-ignored-by-frommers-362072/)

BillT Sep 29th, 2003 09:15 AM

Peninsula ignored by Frommers

Just thought the readers in this forum would find interesting that the competition- Frommers- does not mention the Peninsula hotel either in their guide books or on their web site for accomodations in Bangkok. I sent them several e-mails asking why that was but to this day have not received a response. I wonder why?????????????

rhkkmk Sep 29th, 2003 10:20 AM

i always think of them as concentrating more in the mid level to budget level...pen is anything but that....maybe they have not had a team on site since the pen opened and thus haven't reviewed it??
i like them most for touring and for mid-level restaurants but that is all

BillT Sep 29th, 2003 11:34 AM

Maybe- but they do list the Oriental which is in the same league. Yes I agree with you on their focus- but their guide books do try to identify the top of the line hotels- just seems to me that someone has an issue here!

sandi Sep 29th, 2003 12:15 PM

I've researched Frommers and Fodors as guidebooks to various destinations - of late I actually find the Frommers books more detailed with more hotels, type of beds, decor, pillows, bath shampoo, lotion, etc. and more detail as to restaurants and quality of food; while Fodors doesn't even list price ranges in their books.

I used to use the Fodors guidebooks, now I'm a Frommers fan - but it also depends on the destination. I've been surprised some hotels Frommers lists, i.e, in France and Fodors seems to have never head of them.

You've just got to check both and any others that are available. And of course websites.

The Peninsula has been open now about 4-yrs, you'd think they'd know about the place by now.

Craig Sep 29th, 2003 01:10 PM

All of the guidebooks are several years behind the times. I don't think I've ever had a great restaurant meal at a "hot" restaurant recommended in a guidebook. Also, it seems to take years before "new" hotels are mentioned. Unfortunately, once a business has established a good reputation, as we all know, service often declines. Forums are excellent for up-to-the-minute information and I swear by them--Fodor's, in particular has been great.

JamesA Sep 29th, 2003 01:17 PM

I agree with Craig, it takes about 2 years (!) to get listed. A friend who opened a great Guesthouse/Small hotel in Chiang Mai went into this, contacted all the relevant Guides advising he was looking forward to greeting someone from the Guide Books to show them around etc but he either got zero response or from a couple they said to provide basic details and they would revert, and that for inclusion from mid 2003 he was looking at 2005!!
Thankfully that is where Forums come in such as this so we can keep up to date.

ThinGorjus Sep 29th, 2003 05:45 PM

<Maybe they do but they list the Oriental-which is in the same league> Darling, the Oriental is a legend and in a league all its own.

BillT Sep 30th, 2003 05:22 AM

ThinGorjus:
Re:Oriental- by reading this forum it is quite clear that there a new king of the hill- The Peninsula! I suspect the other posts are correct - the Frommers guide is years out of date- at least 4.
The Bangkok Peninsula was recently rated as the best hotel in the world by Travel and Leisure so if the oriental is in a class by itself it might now be second class.

ThinGorjus Sep 30th, 2003 09:38 AM

Sorry, darling, but the mad mag you state has rated the Penninsula as #1 in the world, rated the Oriental as #1 THREE TIMES--IT HOLDS THE RECORD. But, this rating is accomplished by poll. Rich jet setters don't read that crappy mag anyway. :)

budg Sep 30th, 2003 03:37 PM

I haven't seen Penn listed on the fodor's website either. It hasn't been on the site since I have been researching a trip (8 months or so), before T&Ls rating.

As for the previous post re: people who have $$$ don't read T&L.... Are you kidding? You don't have to have $$$ or not have it to read magazines and give input... Silly comment and assumption to make. A little sore your favorite hotel was not rated #1, I can understand, but a silly comment is not needed.

Knowing people that have stayed at both, I understand they are both very good hotels. As long as you like where you are staying, to each his own.

just my two cents worth :)

budg Sep 30th, 2003 06:22 PM

ttt

996tt Sep 30th, 2003 11:22 PM

OK lets settle the Oriental vs Peninsula once and for all. I was in Bangkok last week and booked both Pen and Oriental. Pen was like $164+tax and Oriental was 150+tax. Pen included breakfast and Oriental didn't. Pen upgraded me to Balcony River View Suite and Oriental did nothing. Pen had a perfectly clean room and larger with better views. At the Oriental when I wanted to take a bath the water was YELLOW!! No kidding!! THey said they were having a problem with their water treatment system and they wanted me to run the water for 5 min. So I did it for 20 min and still the same. So I went out to grab dinner and they said it would be fixed after I come back. The water was a little better but you can still see yellowish tint. I was so dissapointed that they didn't change my room. Bottomline, Oriental is going down the hill and Pen is taking over the top spot. So long Oriental as you lost it and you are getting old and I would NEVER stay there again!!

budg Oct 1st, 2003 01:40 PM

Just a question... why on fodors.com does it not list The Penn under hotels in Bangkok? I think they should at least update this on their website since the hotel was rated #1 in the world and ranked pretty high if not close to #1 in other mags like Conde Nast (UK), Departures, etc.

sandi Oct 1st, 2003 04:59 PM

996tt -

Interesting that $150 rate from the Oriental. Though I assume they didn't offer it immediately. They mostly offer the higher rates - so I guess that's what competition will do for you. Glad to know you worked a good deal, as the Oriental hasn't been known to extend lower rates.

When the Pen first opened, and with the Oriental seeing lots of business going across the river, both hotels started leaving the lights on in all rooms, regardless if they were occupied, just so that the other would think "full house".

All the rooms at the Pen have river views - and what rooms had balconies? We took a tour of their suites (we had a friend, who had a friend, etc.etc.) and didn't see balconies anywhere! Did we miss something?

budg Oct 1st, 2003 05:08 PM

The hotel is W shaped in the center all rooms have balconies. Since you don't read T&L you would not have seen the full page picture of the hotel where you can clearly see the balconies on all floors.

budg Oct 1st, 2003 05:08 PM

I should clarify that the center of the W, those rooms all have balconies. There are also terrace rooms on the corners at the top that have terraces.

budg Oct 1st, 2003 05:45 PM

Still, I have the same question. Why is this hotel not on the fodors.com website? Anybody?????

996tt Oct 2nd, 2003 12:17 AM

sandi,

The two rooms in the middle section of the hotel are balcony rooms. Indeed I was very fortunate to get a free upgrade to that room. It was very nice for 168+tax including breakfast. I believe the rate is up to $180 now. Peninsula blows Oriental away!

Craig Oct 2nd, 2003 03:02 AM

Budg - I believe that the fodors.com website has the same (old) information as the most recent Fodors book.

sandi Oct 2nd, 2003 04:12 AM

budg - those rooms must have been occupied when we toured. The hotel was pretty much full when we were there. And even at $180 is a deal. Thanks for the info. Though personally I wouldn't be spending much time on a balcony in a city with such bad air - a quick look-see, and back inside.

The Peninsula definitely does overshadow the Oriental, especially at sunset. It's a winner.