Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Peninsula BKK Taxi question (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/peninsula-bkk-taxi-question-656079/)

scfphoto Oct 30th, 2006 01:31 PM

Peninsula BKK Taxi question

When going out to dinner from Peninsula Hotel, since it is across the river from some places we want to go to. Is it easier/better or less expensive to go across the river then get a taxi from one of the piers? Seems to me that it would take extra time and money for a taxi to drive out of the way to the bridgebut are taxis inexpensive enough that it is irrelevant. Or, taking the skytrain to nearest stop then grabbing a taxi if too much of a walk involved is best. Any guidence from the experts is appreciated.

Craig Oct 30th, 2006 02:27 PM

First of all, you should know that the Penn has a Pier and lounge on the other side of the river - their shuttle boats go there on a very regular basis so if you wanted to pick up a taxi at the pier you can. Depending on where you are going for dinner, it may be easier to take the skytrain from Taksim pier - the Penn's shuttle boats also go there regularly. Let us know where you are trying to get to and we can give you more specific advice.

scfphoto Oct 30th, 2006 03:04 PM

Most of the places I was thinking about are up along Sukhumvit Rd. Some seem close to skytrain stations others look like a pretty far walk from the stations. There will be times depending on the weather when we might just want to hop in a car and not have other transportation things to deal with.

ccc Oct 30th, 2006 03:13 PM

We - like many in Bangkok - have been scammed by taxi drivers. Given that, my recommendation would be to take the Peninsula boat to the other side. There will be plenty of taxis waiting. Rather than taking one of those, I would walk across the street to the Shangri-La and take a taxi from there. I think the fact that the bellman will have their cab number dramatically increases your chance of going where you want to go in the most direct route.

Craig Oct 30th, 2006 03:56 PM

scf - be specific - many of us have been to the restaurants you may be considering - most are pretty close to sky train stops. Even if they aren't you can take a taxi when you get there.

Guenmai Oct 30th, 2006 04:40 PM

I stay on Sukhumvit so I take the skytrain 95% of the time. But,when I occasionally go over to the river area to shop and have lots of bags, then I take a taxi back to Sukumvit. I almost always go to the nearest hotel and then have the person, out front, at that hotel get me a taxi. He will tell the driver where I want to go and the taxis are usually nicer than the beat up versions that one can get when flagged down on the street.

Since you'll be at the Pen, I would cross the river and get a taxi from the nearest hotel. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Oct 30th, 2006 04:41 PM

I forgot to say that...better yet....take the skytrain. Happy Travels!