Penang Food...

May 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Penang Food...

hi...i might be going to Penang in June...To go shopping and eating.

Any recommendations for hawker food?
May 20th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Here is a section from my report on Penang:

Penang is famous for it’s hawker food. As you may know, the Malaysian government helped develop “hawker centers” to house hawker stalls to improve sanitation. The hawker centers have running water, so the dishes you use are washed in hot water with soap, and the hawkers have hand-washing facilities, so the situation is much better sanitation-wise than it is for street food in, say, Thailand. These hawker centers are located all over Georgetown, as well as in the famous Guerney Drive area. We actually found better hawker food in downtown Georgetown than on Guerney Drive. Hornill recommend a book to us called “The famous Street Food of Penang.” It has interviews with some of the famous hawkers and recipes as well. We went to several places recommended in the book and had great food. We also picked by a book called “My Penang” by Lim Bee Chin which was another great resource for finding great hawker food. One of our favorite places was just a few blocks from the E&O, called the Kheng Pin Café, it was a hawker center with lots of choices, including what is renowned to be the best satay in Penang, cooked to order over charcoal and Lorback, a sort of fritter, especially the shrimp lorback this hawker is famous for (but do try the sweet potato as well). Cheryl searched out a hawker famous for his Oh Chien, an oyster omelet. We tried noodle dishes as well, both fried noodle dishes and soups, and had a great time eating tasty and very cheap food. For those of you who haven’t used hawker centers before, here’s the routine. There are tables set up, choose where you want to sit and someone will ask for drink orders. You order your food from each hawker, gesture to where you are sitting, and your food will be delivers to your table. You pay for each item as it is delivered. When you finish eating, the hawker will pick up your dishes. By the way, it’s bring your own napkins.

We also tried several restaurants. Kuranosuke recommended Hamedia, a Muslim Indian restaurant. It is like many small restaurants in that it has a very limited menu, but what they cook, they do very well. Cheryl had Tandoori chicken and naan and I had Chicken Tikka with naan. The food was excellent – and very cheap!

We found Passage to India, a few blocks from the E&O. It had a wide range of Indian cuisines. We love Indian food, and in chatting with our waiter, he said he could get us things not on the menu. So we negotiated a menu with him, some items on the menu, some not. The food was some of the best Indian food I’ve had. We ate there twice, trying out a great range of dishes. I highly recommend it for a more upscale dining experience that is still inexpensive.

Enjoy! The hawker food there is really fabulous!
May 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM

kathie, as usual, excellent advice.

don't forget to try the famous penang laksa, and hokkien mee. you should be able to find these dishes along guerney drive.
May 20th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Malaysian hawker food, Ikan Bakar, Laksa, Rojak, Bak Kut Teh, Nasi Lemak....ABC Ice....
Guerney drive has them all.
Food stalls near Kek Lok Si Temple has the best Laksa in Penang.
I had excellent tandoori chicken in a small place near Batu Ferringhi.
May 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I love Ikan Bakar, the grilled fish.
Almost forgot another favor dish in Malaysia.
"Squids with Chinese watercrest in peanut sauce"
May 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM

It should be Squids with Chinese spinach or "kangkong" not Squids with Chinese watercrest.
Penang Kangkung Blachan is another "must try" dish.
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Penang is food heaven, there is alot blogger blog about penang food and i am one of them, feel free to visit my blog as below.
http://tasteiest.blogspot.com/

penang must try food is laksa, chao koay teow, rojak, bah kut teh, seafood.
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM

new world is a very good hawker center....

for a lux treat go to either GEM restaurant (indian) or the sire museum restaurant for excellent meals....both near to little india....