We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Looking for more informasion in Rajim Kumbh
- 2 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 3 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 4 Hotel in Vientiane 18-24 December
- 5 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 6 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 7 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 8 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 9 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 10 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 11 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 12 Vientiane to LP December
- 13 Prelim itinerary Java, Bali
- 14 5 days in Singapore
- 15 ONLY 3 DAYS in BEIJING -BEST THINGS TO DO?
- 16 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 17 Shanghai in January
- 18 24hrs in Seoul on Christmas..what to do
- 19 Myanmar tour companies
- 20 Luang Prabang for Christmas which Hotel?
- 21 Recommended drivers in Sri Lanka
- 22 Top Things to do in Amazing Bali - Travel Report
- 23 Advice On 15 Day Trip To Taiwan, Vietnam & Laos?
- 24 We did it! -4 weeks of independent travel in China - a detailed report
- 25 look for resort suggestions for Phuket and/or Ko Samui areas