Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   peanut allergy in Thailand? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/peanut-allergy-in-thailand-396164/)

carolt Feb 6th, 2004 04:53 PM

peanut allergy in Thailand?

My boyfriend and I are going to Thailand in 3 weeks. He is allergic to peanuts and so we are worried he won't have anything to eat there. Are peanuts likely to be found in most foods? Will he starve or else risk having an allergic atttack?? Any suggestions are appreciated

rhkkmk Feb 6th, 2004 07:22 PM

test

rhkkmk Feb 6th, 2004 07:27 PM

peanuts are in many thai dishes, so you will need to be very careful...they also use peanut sauce which you may not see in dishes.....while you are in bkk you will not have a problem as you can eat in western type places....any upscale thai place will understand your problem if you explain it, or at least they should....at ordinary thai places and restaurants outside 4 or 5 star hotels you may have a problem...

you will not starve....have huge breakfasts and eat clear soups with shrimp for lunch...you can work around it....

the buffets allow you to pick and choose if you know your foods....just be careful that the buffet is fresh...

fiona Feb 6th, 2004 11:55 PM

no problems if you love fish. You just pick which one you want and tell them how you want it prepared. How allergic is he- I'm wondering if preparing food in a kitchen where they also have peanuts(in abundance) would also spark a reaction.

JamesA Feb 7th, 2004 01:42 AM

Let me see if I can set up something in Thai for you, you obviously won'ty be able to get Thai script on your PC but I will try and copy it as a pic and then you can copy that. Peanuts are not used a huge amount but with varying dishes and mixes, recipies you need to take care.

However, a word of caution, even passing a note in Thai requesting no peanuts is NO Guarentee, the wiater/ess may take the note and ignore it, leave it somewhere, dump it in the kitchen, getting that thru to cooks also a problem. Also note (I know this having run a restaurant) that much is prepared in advance and the likelyhood of your message getting thru is little. I also, as an Ice Cream 'addict' love gouing to Swensons in BKK, but I can't handle Almond nuts, it does not matter how many times my Thai wife clearly tells the staff not to put nuts in, 80% of the time there are nuts!!! So..forwarned.

I will get my lands in the cimputer dept to do something for you on Monday. I'm 'laptoping' from Hua Hin at the moment..

carolt Feb 8th, 2004 01:35 PM

Thanks for all your responses. Having something to show the waiting staff re: allergy would be great although I realize it is still risky. He isn't deathly allergic..only nausea and an uncomfortable, unpleasant feeling for the next 12 hours or so...not something you want on vacation. Anything we can do to avoid it would be helpful.

orgy7 Feb 8th, 2004 01:46 PM

James. lol..

And the part that drives me crazy is. that when I start to get upset and softelly complain too the waitress about a matter. my girlfraind gets mad at me.. jeeze I wasn't the one that meseed up the order..

JamesA Feb 8th, 2004 09:13 PM

My lads in the computer dept are going to do that this afternoon.
Orgy, the other day my wife sent out to the nearby small restaurant(as you know, buying in food is easy and cheap and we do that when no one wants to cook) for some Fried Rice with EGG, it came back as Fried rice with CHICKEN(and that that time we were not easting chicken), the error being in the 'gai/kai'(say that and you will see how similar they sound).
So no one should ever feel embarrassed being served the wrong item because it happens 'often'. Always clearly place your finger on a menu item clearly to show what you want.

JamesA Feb 9th, 2004 05:38 AM

Here you are Carol

http://www.suk11.com/allergy.htm

This link given with thanks to Anil at Suk11 Guesthouse in Bangkok, so in fairness we 'must' say what a great Guesthouse Suk11 in Bangkok is..

carolt Feb 9th, 2004 05:09 PM

Thanks JamesA for the messages in Thai. Hopefully it will help ! Thanks again.