Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Park Royal Resort, Penang (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/park-royal-resort-penang-114237/)

tony Mar 23rd, 2001 10:06 AM

Park Royal Resort, Penang

We are shortly heading off to Penang and note that many hotels are recommended in messages to this site, but not our one - Park Royal.Anyone been there? Also is it expensive to take a taxi into Georgetown from Batu Ferringhi?

sarah Mar 24th, 2001 08:36 AM

See other posting about 'hotels not replying', see my advice/tips about booking Park Royal. It's a very popular busy hotel at Batu. Taxis are available, cannot remember exact price but I 'guess' about Rm 30, cheap. Last time I was in Penang though, and sheltering from the rain, at the Park Royal, I experienced 'again' this habit in Penang of not allowing 'local taxis' into the hotel area, they try and make you take a 'hotel taxi', this infuriated me as they are much more expensive. Crown Prince Hotel in Penang did the same, I walked to th street in the rain to hail a local taxi myself! If they try and push you to take a hotel taxi create an issue!! Takes about 30 minutes. <BR>Sarah

tony Mar 24th, 2001 10:46 AM

thanks for the advice about the taxis!!

Les Mar 24th, 2001 01:43 PM

Tony, <BR>Also see my reply to the same posting that Sarah responded to. <BR>Sarah, <BR>Even with your bad experience (and the experience of the other Sarah in your reference posting), you continue to recommend this hotel. Why?

sarah Mar 25th, 2001 09:01 AM

???? There is nothng wrong with the hotel! We are simply saying that a&gt; they seem poor on replying, but that is the case with many many hotels worldwide, b&gt; Like many other places in Penang it's a hassle with taxis! <BR>These are not reasons enough to not stay at a hotel. It is an excellent hotel but perhaps the Management are not paying enough attention to training staff to reply to e-mails. The taxi situation is the same at any hotel. I gave advice. Good advice is always 'positive'. Once someone has advice to correct a delay in response, and is aware of the taxi situation all is fine.

Ivan Mar 25th, 2001 09:57 PM

Park Royal is a nice hotel. The hotel ground is a bit small in comparison to the others along the stretch, so it may get a bit crowded during peak seasons (i.e. school holidays, Chinese new year etc). The staff are friendly and service is efficient. I stayed there a few years ago but have since moved on to my favourtie Rasa Sayang which has bigger ground and shuttle bus to Georgetown. If you are adventurous, you can catch a bus right in front of your hotel to Georgetown, it will cost less than £1!!! The taxis drivers outside the hotels have to pay some sort of premium to the hotels to station there so they will try to pass it on to their fares. It will be cheaper to get one on the main road but then again most of taxis have their own spots at their respective hotels, it is unlikely they want to take you. Taxis in Penang are cheap, you can either negotiate a price or ask the driver to use the meter. Enjoy your trip.