Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Pardon my ignorance, but what is there to see in Bali besides the beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/pardon-my-ignorance-but-what-is-there-to-see-in-bali-besides-the-beach-113262/)

Veronica Mar 19th, 2001 08:01 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is there to see in Bali besides the beach?

I am still searching the perfect place for my honeymoon. I am considering Egypt, Bora Bora or the Italian riviera. I have heard not much of Bali. Anyone interested in filling me on Bali. Greatly appreciated.

Sarah Mar 19th, 2001 03:23 PM

My husband and I went to Bali for our honeymoon last July, as well as Bangkok, Tokyo and Hong Kong (on the Cathay Pacific All-Asia Pass). We loved it and really didn't end up spending too much time on the beach as wee were only there for three days. We went white water rafting and elephant riding one day with Bali Adventure tours. The Ayung River was amazing -- lush jungle-type vegetation, cascading waterfalls. It looked like something out of National Geographic. The Ubud area is full of amazing craftsmen and is away from the coast, and very far removed from the beach scene. We also went to the Monkey Forest in Ubud, where we saw many very bold monkeys running loose (and one up my leg) in a forest with a few beautiful temples. There's also a volcano that you can visit (we didn;t make it). Plus, as commercial and crowded as Kuta is we enjoyed doing some shopping there and haggling for bargains. The people were wonderful and the prices (once we got there were excellent). If I were to do it over I would definitely have spent more time in Bali so that we could have stayed a few nights in Ubud in addition the resorty beach areas. Of couse I wouldn't have skipped any of our other stops either!! If you have a few weeks to spend on your honeymoon you should definitely check out the All-Asia Pass. It was a really great deal ad made our honeymoon the travel experience of a lifetime.

joaonadrade Apr 4th, 2001 11:11 AM

The best place in this world is BORA BORA<BR>I'VE BEEN IN ALL THE PLACES YOU SAID AND IN MANY PLACES IN CARIBE BUT NO ONE HAS THE COLORS OF FRENCH POLINESIA AND THEIR MAGIC

joaonadrade Apr 4th, 2001 11:15 AM

BORA BORA IS THE MAGIC PLACE IN THIS WORLD<BR>I'VE BEEN IN ALL OTHER PLACES YOU SAID AND I'M SURE YOU 'LL LOVE THIS PLACE FIRST. YOU CANT FINFD WATER LIKE THERE.<BR>I WENT TO CARIBE, TO MANY PLACES THERE BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME COLOR.<BR>IN CARIBE THE WATER IS BLUE/GREEN AND IN BORA BORA THE WATER IS REAL BLUE AND TRANSLUCID AND THE PEOPLE IS VERY FRIENDLY AND SIMPLE.<BR>

dan Apr 4th, 2001 12:55 PM

Sarah,<BR><BR>You recently wrote about your honeymoon.<BR><BR>I am doing the exact same trip this July for my honeymoon and would really like to get some advice from you<BR>re: hotels, lenngth of stays, tours, etc.<BR><BR>Is there anywhere I could email you?

yuenpitre Apr 4th, 2001 02:10 PM

Veronica,<BR><BR>There is so much to see in Bali and we were seldom on the BEACH!<BR><BR>Colourful place with lots of culture, from volcanoes, to rice padi fields, to animal markets, to craftsmen, exotic dancers, we found that 1 week was not enough to experience what Bali had to offer. Great food, nice people, great hotels and service, the list goes on and on...this is of course in Nusa Dua (if you want to spend the $$$$). Terribly exotic, humid and hot! Our last night was spent watching the sunset at Jimbaran Bay waiting for our romantic dinner(the longest time we spent on the beach...I don't think anyone would want to fry themselves on the beach with 90% humidity and temperatures hitting almost 35 deg C+++).<BR><BR>July,August months are even hotter! <BR>I assume bora bora would be more costly since it is isolated from other Islands...Indonesia is experiencing an economic crisis and their rupiah is extremely low...your dollar will go far!<BR><BR>Have a good time no matter where you choose to go.

scott Apr 5th, 2001 11:35 PM

Bora Bora<BR>Yes this is a beautiful Island. Although IMO way over-rated and very expensive. Unless cost is no option! We stayed at the Bora Bora Hotel, the nicest resort on the Island $580.00 a night and you will spend half that a day on food. A couple of days of sun and you are out of things to do unless you like to be water logged! Absolutely "NO" night life.I could think of several other places to do a Hooneymoon!!!!!!